Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unfamiliar w/ Particular Requirement by Building Department

What I meant by the lugs option , is to replace the main switchboard lugs with ones with more ports (if possible).

Another option would be to connect to the feeder bus. I know that is very similar to your #2 with probably the same implications, but you did specifically refer to the line side.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

And just for completeness, some modifications to your #3. There are many other ways to pull another set of service entrance conductors off your existing SECs besides IPCs (personally, they would not be my go to method, but everybody has their preferences). A "polaris" type connector where the conductors can pass thru the block would be a good option. Something like this may work:

https://hubbellcdn.com/ohwassets/HCE...connectors.pdf

There is all kinds of stuff out there

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tkelly View Post
    Also, just for own learning, it seems there are four ways to connect in a switchboard:

1. Have the inverter output circuit protected by OCPD in the switchboard
    2. Do a line-side tap on the switchboard's busbar (usually has to be inspected by a NRTL field inspector)
    3. Use insulation piercing conductors on the service entrance conductors on the line-side of the switchboard OCPD
    4. ...and something about lugs? Can someone explain in detail about replacing the lugs to connect PV?

If there are any other ways of interconnecting on a commercial switchboard, please let me know just for the sake of knowledge. Thank you!

Andy
    Busbar clamps. See page B-52 of this catalog for an example. The catalog is a pretty large download.

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Busbar clamps. See page B-52 of this catalog for an example. The catalog is a pretty large download.
    Neat, good info. Never heard of those.

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    Interesting. So does using something like this typically still require field listing?

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Interesting. So does using something like this typically still require field listing?

I heard of these recently from a PV contractor who has been using them and AHJs have not been requiring field recert but I have not used them on any projects I have been involved with. In the end it's going to be up to the AHJ, but since these don't require drilling, removing existing bolts, or other changes they seem to not elicit the same level of scrutiny. I'm hopeful. I would have used these on a project that was just interconnected but the contractor could not track down a source for them in the time we had.

Another clamp is the Burndy YG14BTC28 which is cleaner than the other but requires compressing the clamp onto the busbar with a tool. Might be a more difficult access wise. But options are good.