2015 Ford Transits, anyone using one yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
150705-2332 EDT

kwired:

Your comments are basically correct.

The people in government are writing the laws and regulations, and the car and truck companies have to follow these requirements. It may be necessary to go to a larger truck to get the needed power.

F = M*A always applies. F is proportional to torque. So torque is the direct parameter to look at.

Electric power generation has the same government problems. Old coal plants are being forced to close, new plants are going natural gas, or old plants are converted to gas. The cost of generating electrictly is being forced up by the regulations. As these tranistions take place electric rates are going to go up.

In our location we are lucky to have natural gas at low cost, and large supplies. Major pipelines feed large underground storage in western Lower Michigan. Gas is bought cheap in the summer and stored for winter use.

kwired

Electron manager
150705-2332 EDT

kwired:

Your comments are basically correct.

The people in government are writing the laws and regulations, and the car and truck companies have to follow these requirements. It may be necessary to go to a larger truck to get the needed power.

F = M*A always applies. F is proportional to torque. So torque is the direct parameter to look at.

Electric power generation has the same government problems. Old coal plants are being forced to close, new plants are going natural gas, or old plants are converted to gas. The cost of generating electrictly is being forced up by the regulations. As these tranistions take place electric rates are going to go up.

In our location we are lucky to have natural gas at low cost, and large supplies. Major pipelines feed large underground storage in western Lower Michigan. Gas is bought cheap in the summer and stored for winter use.

Isn't emissions the biggest issue with the power plants? Both types primarily are producing CO2, but I don't know if there is a big difference between the two fuel types in CO2 emissions, I can see the natural gas having less other items in it then the coal though.

But I agree if you want more power from a truck you need to go with a larger series truck, this has been apparent for several years. When I was younger you didn't see all that many 350's or 3500 series trucks around these parts, now they are everywhere, probably because the 250's/2500's don't quite have what is needed to do the job.

I recall experiences with late 80's to mid 90's Ford F series trucks where we had F150's with 5.0L engine that may have had less power per specifications as they probably should have compared to the F250 trucks with 5.7L engines, but the trucks with the 5.0 were more preferred to drive as they seemed to have better optimized transmission and/or differential gears. The truck with smaller power plant would not be as dogged down pulling same load as the truck with the bigger plant.:( I saw that many times in those years of those series of trucks as well as owned some of each myself.

kwired

Electron manager
Coal produces over 75% more CO2 per unit heating value as natural gas.

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=74&t=11

Cheers, Wayne

OK, I was going to ask why, but after some other looking around I am going to say it is mostly because the coal is primarily carbon being burned but natural gas is mostly methane which breaks down into carbon and hydrogen - and burning that does give off CO2 but should also produce some significant heat from the hydrogen and the byproduct of that would be water vapor.

Next question is how much carbon emission is made just getting the coal vs NG to the generation plants, as well as which is more abundant and cost effective to harvest? I guess transporting gas is simpler once pipelines are in place, but am guessing coal is much more abundant probably making it cost less in the end.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Next question is how much carbon emission is made just getting the coal vs NG to the generation plants, as well as which is more abundant and cost effective to harvest? I guess transporting gas is simpler once pipelines are in place, but am guessing coal is much more abundant probably making it cost less in the end.
Coal may cost less currently, but as your interest in carbon emissions reflects, the market cost is currently not a sufficient overall measure. Carbon emissions are presently an externality, an effect that is not priced by the market, in this case a harm to the public. This is resulting in a market failure, and we need a mechanism to price this externality so that the market can do its magic and efficiently allocate our energy needs across different energy sources. E.g. a carbon tax. Properly pricing the costs of fossil fuel use would also eliminate the need for any subsidies for low carbon energy sources, e.g. wind and solar.

Cheers, Wayne

PetrosA

My neighbor just got one with the Dura-Tec engine (commercial HVAC contractor) and he's super happy with it so far. Much roomier than his E250, he says power is great under all conditions and it drives much better than his old van. He's getting around 16-18 MPG fully loaded and with ladders on the roof, so much better than he was getting before.

As far as a lack of brute power is concerned, it is a European designed van. What that means to me is that it's adapted primarily for use as a van for hauling it's contents as efficiently as possible and not for hauling itself fully loaded plus a 6000 lb. trailer. It's frameless, so towing heavy loads isn't really an option to begin with. Europeans who need to tow heavy loads buy American pick-up trucks, but it's obvious that it's a niche market. They don't (like here in the US) typically want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on fuel over the life of a vehicle for power they might only need a few times per year which, at fuel prices in Europe, is a totally realistic expectation.

I think the mindset in the US of buying unneeded power is changing slowly. I think of it like this - the way most guys used to buy trucks was like buying and carrying a two pound sledge in your hammer hook all day long because "it might come in handy" while now more guys are buying a 16 or 18 ounce hammer because that's all they really need most of the time and it's more comfortable to use while driving staples ;)

Tony S

So the company I work for just bought some new service trucks.

This is what I started driving last Tuesday

trn15_pg_020_ext_med.jpg

5ea32b3b40e9c73f6d6da361f9181303x.jpg

So far very impressed, yeah its an ugly box but I can stand upright in it and with the straight sides it provides much better room for shelving placement.

It is a '350' with a 10,000 LB GVWR but it only has a 3.7L with a six speed auto transmission. It shifts a lot trying to maintain speed and I am no where near loaded up yet.

The six speed gear box has been reported as weak and causing problems.

I’ve lost count of the transits I’ve driven (wrecked) over the years. First one I was an apprentice, I’m retired now.

kwired

Electron manager
My neighbor just got one with the Dura-Tec engine (commercial HVAC contractor) and he's super happy with it so far. Much roomier than his E250, he says power is great under all conditions and it drives much better than his old van. He's getting around 16-18 MPG fully loaded and with ladders on the roof, so much better than he was getting before.

As far as a lack of brute power is concerned, it is a European designed van. What that means to me is that it's adapted primarily for use as a van for hauling it's contents as efficiently as possible and not for hauling itself fully loaded plus a 6000 lb. trailer. It's frameless, so towing heavy loads isn't really an option to begin with. Europeans who need to tow heavy loads buy American pick-up trucks, but it's obvious that it's a niche market. They don't (like here in the US) typically want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on fuel over the life of a vehicle for power they might only need a few times per year which, at fuel prices in Europe, is a totally realistic expectation.

I think the mindset in the US of buying unneeded power is changing slowly. I think of it like this - the way most guys used to buy trucks was like buying and carrying a two pound sledge in your hammer hook all day long because "it might come in handy" while now more guys are buying a 16 or 18 ounce hammer because that's all they really need most of the time and it's more comfortable to use while driving staples ;)
Problem with small one/two person companies like I run is you need heavy duty truck to be able to pull the heavy trailer when needed, but can't really afford to have second vehicle around for when you don't need the heavy duty truck. Otherwise if it works out the best thing would be to have both lighter and heavy duty vehicles and use them as needed. What kind of normal payload you carry even when not pulling a trailer does make some difference as well as driving conditions you typically encounter - both on and off road. I also find myself needing 4 wheel drive quite often - but if I only did work in the city that could change.

PetrosA

Problem with small one/two person companies like I run is you need heavy duty truck to be able to pull the heavy trailer when needed, but can't really afford to have second vehicle around for when you don't need the heavy duty truck. Otherwise if it works out the best thing would be to have both lighter and heavy duty vehicles and use them as needed. What kind of normal payload you carry even when not pulling a trailer does make some difference as well as driving conditions you typically encounter - both on and off road. I also find myself needing 4 wheel drive quite often - but if I only did work in the city that could change.

I understand. I'm kind of in the same situation, but I somehow don't find myself needing the 4WD or a trailer. My brother took over our dad's business and has a few guys and does need to haul large amounts of materials or his trencher. His solution was to get a beater 4WD pickup that he leaves at the shop just for hauling, towing and plowing. He stayed on our farm, so he has the room to store it and can justify the expense of keeping it just based on the plowing needs in the winter time. I'd get materials delivered if I couldn't fit them into my little Transit Connect. There are days, however, that I dream of getting one of the new Transits with a raised roof ;)

iwire

Staff member
I have not forgotten this thread have been reading the posts but have not had time to really post on it.

Still liking the truck even if underpowered by current American expectations. :D

sparkyrick

Well, I just hit 1K on my Transit. Now that I've past the engine break-in period, I can driver the way I want! Lets see how this six speed tranny holds up, LOL :)

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Well, I just hit 1K on my Transit. Now that I've past the engine break-in period, I can driver the way I want! Lets see how this six speed tranny holds up, LOL :)
Is it loaded ? Do you have shelving, tools, and material in it ? That will put the trans to the test.:cool:

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I carried a lot of weight in my 2005 E-250 but never towed anything. My transmissions went at approx 35K, 75K, 120K and finally 161K when I decided to get rid of it. I never "beat" the truck but I do live in a mountainous area so lots of up and down driving.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I carried a lot of weight in my 2005 E-250 but never towed anything. My transmissions went at approx 35K, 75K, 120K and finally 161K when I decided to get rid of it. I never "beat" the truck but I do live in a mountainous area so lots of up and down driving.
That's a lot of transmissions.

sparkyrick

My co-worker stopped over with his new Dodge 1500 Promaster. Now that he has it all loaded, the axle is only 3/4" off the bump stops. I'm not too far behind with about 1" above the bump stops. But a lot of my normal "stuff" is locked up at the jobsite right now. I can't WAIT to get it fully loaded and weight it. All I can say for sure right now, if I load nine 2500' spools of wire and a wire cart or 2000' of 3/4" EMT, I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting ON the bump stops. I think I'll need a leaf or two added in the rear suspension.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My co-worker stopped over with his new Dodge 1500 Promaster. Now that he has it all loaded, the axle is only 3/4" off the bump stops. I'm not too far behind with about 1" above the bump stops. But a lot of my normal "stuff" is locked up at the jobsite right now. I can't WAIT to get it fully loaded and weight it. All I can say for sure right now, if I load nine 2500' spools of wire and a wire cart or 2000' of 3/4" EMT, I'm pretty sure I'll be sitting ON the bump stops. I think I'll need a leaf or two added in the rear suspension.
Make sure that your tires can take the weight. The stock tires may not if you are on the bump stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.