Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB memory sticks

Some thumb drives contain a small read-only partition which contains optional encryption software to be used in securing data on the drive. If that is the first partition, the less flexible HMI bios may not recognize the data partition in second place in the partition table.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Some thumb drives contain a small read-only partition which contains optional encryption software to be used in securing data on the drive. If that is the first partition, the less flexible HMI bios may not recognize the data partition in second place in the partition table.

That's getting above my pay scale. How do I check for that? Then again for the $s, I'll just buy a different brand.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    That's getting above my pay scale. How do I check for that?
    I use the windoze disk manager (Administrative tools -> Computer Management, click on "Disk Management"), for each physical drive, you should see a pictorial layout. OTOH, getting rid of them is usually a command-line operation, so you probably don't want to go there. (A different stick is much easier, if it works.)

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    That's getting above my pay scale. How do I check for that? Then again for the $s, I'll just buy a different brand.
    When you stick it into your computer, does it show you just the "hard drive" or does it show you a drive and a CD (read-only) device?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    When you stick it into your computer, does it show you just the "hard drive" or does it show you a drive and a CD (read-only) device?

Nothing read only.

A newer model HMI recognizes the Lexars and while the older HMI may not use more than 4G, it does tell me the capacity of the 16G Kingston. Go figure.
    Tom
    TBLO

This is from memory, which makes it automatically suspect, but I think it has to do with sector size.
    IE: Old hard-drives (less capacity, ergo smaller sector size) will not be (are not being) recognized by newer operating systems.