Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: What could it be?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,808
    Again, I'd start by replacing a few of the GFCI breakers with standard breakers, and installing GFCI receptacles where necessary.

    It just sounds a lot easier than trying to trouble shoot an intermittent problem.

    If the breakers still trip, its not a gfci issue at all. If the outlets still trip, you have reduced the problem to the appliance.

    It just seems like the easiest way to narrow the problem down, or maybe even solve it without ever knowing exactly what was wrong.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    17,709
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Again, I'd start by replacing a few of the GFCI breakers with standard breakers,...............
    That's already been done, and the standard breakers don't trip. But the original EC put the GFCI's back in for liability reasons.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,179
    In cases where things like this seem randomly occurring, I've often found it to be moisture related. So I'm wondering if, in a combo situation, you have some sloppy installation work on receptacles etc., but when perfectly dry, the circuit works as it should. However when it gets a little moisture involved, for example when the dishwasher runs and steams, or they boil water in the microwave, or maybe even poorly installed vapor barriers, shorts take place that then, once they happen, immediately vaporize the cause and return to normal.

    A quick way to check this is to spray the receptacles down with WD-40, which will separate the water molecules to eliminate conduction. It will last for a week or so. If the tripping stops, you've proved the concept. Fixing it may present a whole new set of issues, but st least you know. Conversely if it makes NO difference, you've eliminated a possibility at little cost.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,808
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    That's already been done, and the standard breakers don't trip. But the original EC put the GFCI's back in for liability reasons.
    But if the receptacles are changed to GFCI, what liability is there in using standard breakers?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    943
    1- Check to see if there are metal romex connectors tightened down to far on the circuits leading into the panel.

    2- I had a situation where a flat screen tv would randomly trip unrelated arc fault breakers when the screen would go bright white. Took many trips and opened up and looked many things over before this became apparent.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    12
    I’ll throw in an odd one here also...
    Friend of mine was tripping GFCI/AFCI breakers and outlets randomly throughout the house but only at odd times, never able to track it down to using a certain piece of equipment, time, day, etc.
    He is a police officer and we finally traced it down to his two way radio. Trunked system that would transmit periodically even when not actively using it. As it switched towers or talkgroups, the transmit light would illuminate for a brief second and if the radio was near a protected outlet or a downstream device, it would trip from the RF.
    He often left it on when in the charger in his kitchen. Once we found that, he reoriented the radio, charger and was more cognizant of where it was when on which resolved his issues 100%. Not to mention, other officers in his department!!!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    17,709
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcarls1598 View Post
    I’ll throw in an odd one here also...
    Friend of mine was tripping GFCI/AFCI breakers and outlets randomly throughout the house but only at odd times, never able to track it down to using a certain piece of equipment, time, day, etc.
    He is a police officer and we finally traced it down to his two way radio. Trunked system that would transmit periodically even when not actively using it. As it switched towers or talkgroups, the transmit light would illuminate for a brief second and if the radio was near a protected outlet or a downstream device, it would trip from the RF.
    He often left it on when in the charger in his kitchen. Once we found that, he reoriented the radio, charger and was more cognizant of where it was when on which resolved his issues 100%. Not to mention, other officers in his department!!!
    That's something I've considered.... maybe they're ham operators, or use FRS or GMRS or some other radio system. I have yet to ask the HO about it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    9,520
    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    That's something I've considered.... maybe they're ham operators, or use FRS or GMRS or some other radio system. I have yet to ask the HO about it.
    With a log as detailed as the HO provided, I would doubt the above. If not, and RF is still a consideration, look for antennas in the neighborhood, especially big ones on vehicles. Illegal CB operators can emit huge amounts of spurious RF.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,542
    Are these Seimen's gfci breakers. I had issues with about 7 of them right out of the box. Can you remove the gfci breaker and use gfci receptacles somewhere?
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    13,306
    So, you see the job yet?

    If yes, what was it?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •