odd relamping at walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I was at walmart the other day getting a prescription and happened to look up while I was sitting on a bench waiting. I noticed that the fixtures looked like they used to have two long lamps now have 2 shorter lamps that are just a little longer that what it appears the original lamps were. rather odd to see the alternating sides lit up like that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bob , I cannot visualize what is happening. If they replaced 2 long bulbs I suspect they install T-5 bulbs or T-8 or even LED..... But I don't understand the lighting of alternating sides

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You by chance talking about one of the fixtures in the following links?

http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/ss.html#.VZcvs_lViko

http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/sst.html#.VZcwA_lViko

The by staggering the lamps you don't get a dark spot between lamp ends like you do in a continuous strip.

No. These appeared to be something retrofitted into a fixture that once held 2 adjacent long lamps that went the full length of the fixture, and were replaced by two shorter ones that just overlap by a few inches.

kwired

Electron manager
No. These appeared to be something retrofitted into a fixture that once held 2 adjacent long lamps that went the full length of the fixture, and were replaced by two shorter ones that just overlap by a few inches.
So is there still a "gap" in the light where original fixures ended or is there continuous overlapping through a long strip of fixtures?

You can possibly get similar light output from certain single T8 or T5 as you could get from twin T12 lamps.

Common thing would be to replace 8 foot lamps with a kit to adapt to use 2 4 foot lamps for each 8 foot lamp, but if there were a lamp that is longer then the standard 4 foot lamp this may make sense but they would be rather costly compared to the four footers I would think.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
F40T12 x 4 to F54T5HO x 2?
Not as I see it. Looks like an 8' fixture retrofitted to accommodate 4 tubes but only 2 were used as he shows in the diagram above. So I think something like 2- T12 x8' to 2- T8 or T-5 x 4' installed so it covers the 8' fixture on alternating sides

sparkyrick

Stock Wally World fixture when they had suspended ceilings. Even the 4' fixtures have overlapping 2' lamps.

9026b8bf022de171fc4093f1ccdfdd30.jpg

Electric-Light

It looks like a single pin 8 ft to 4 ft lamp retrofit, perhaps F96T12 or F96T8

After some checking...
F32T8 is 47" long. If it was 48" long, it would never fit in a 4' tile after socket width.
Likewise, T5s are a tad bit shorter or else they would not fit in 1200mm metric tiles.

F96T12 is 94 inches.
So, if you're using using the same frame, you can't fit 4' lamps back to back without an overlap to match the total overall length including socket width.

kwired

Electron manager
It looks like a single pin 8 ft to 4 ft lamp retrofit, perhaps F96T12 or F96T8

After some checking...
F32T8 is 47" long. If it was 48" long, it would never fit in a 4' tile after socket width.
Likewise, T5s are a tad bit shorter or else they would not fit in 1200mm metric tiles.

F96T12 is 94 inches.
So, if you're using using the same frame, you can't fit 4' lamps back to back without an overlap to match the total overall length including socket width.
It probably has to do with the luminaire being recessed to some degree. To fit in the grid the overall luminaire length needs to be under 4 or 8 feet. Surface mounted luminaires typically are right about at 4 or 8 feet long.

Lamps are short enough to put a 94 inch lamp in there or two 47 inch lamps, but you do need space for lampholders as well so overall design of the luminaire does come into play with how things may fit.

iwire

Staff member
It probably has to do with the luminaire being recessed to some degree. To fit in the grid the overall luminaire length needs to be under 4 or 8 feet. Surface mounted luminaires typically are right about at 4 or 8 feet long.

Lamps are short enough to put a 94 inch lamp in there or two 47 inch lamps, but you do need space for lampholders as well so overall design of the luminaire does come into play with how things may fit.

Which is pretty much exactly what EL posted. Thanks for the recap. LOL

kwired

Electron manager
Which is pretty much exactly what EL posted. Thanks for the recap. LOL
Ok but one more time just in case- it was likey retrofitted from 8 foot T12 lamps to 4 foot T8 lamps, depending on socket size and other physical arrangements two four foot lamps may not fit end to end in space provided:p

Status
Not open for further replies.