New here - Looking for direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schofield

Hey all I need some direction on getting my license. I was just laid off from a company where I preformed more of an engineering roll but I would like to start my own contracting company. I'm starting with getting by BLD license and working as a GC for now but I would like get my journeyman's than Master's license to add electrical contracting to my (now non existent) company.

I'm in VA so the requirements are 4 years experience and 240 hours school or 5 years experience and 180 hours school (I believe). With my previous employer I worked under a Master electrician for 5+ years and took several classes (which all turned out to be un accredited). The time should count but I doubt any of the class counts. I know you all have probably heard this before but I do really know what I'm doing (don't want an apprenticeship). My previous employer was commercial/industrial on a very large scale so I know I will have some growing pains going residence work (already a few) but I digress...

My main question is what are my best options for getting my journeyman's electrical license, I called the DPOR and the aren't much help. How hard is it to prove 5 years experience, what will I need? Will any of my schooling count? What's the best option to get useful and not too time consuming schooling?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Schofield

Go to this page and download Tradesman Experience Form!

Send a copy to all previous employers!

http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/Tradesmen/#forms-tradesmen1

I know VA and NC have about the same set-up in respects to gaining electrical licensing requirements, thats the only reason I'm posting.

You need to read up on all the requirements at this web page for your own self worth.

Good luck in your pursuits!

Awesome, thank you for the link. I've been to the VA DPOR's website several times and never seen that... I guess I need some classes in navigating their site too (just kidding). :thumbsup:

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Hey all I need some direction on getting my license. I was just laid off from a company where I preformed more of an engineering roll but I would like to start my own contracting company. I'm starting with getting by BLD license and working as a GC for now but I would like get my journeyman's than Master's license to add electrical contracting to my (now non existent) company.

I'm in VA so the requirements are 4 years experience and 240 hours school or 5 years experience and 180 hours school (I believe). With my previous employer I worked under a Master electrician for 5+ years and took several classes (which all turned out to be un accredited). The time should count but I doubt any of the class counts. I know you all have probably heard this before but I do really know what I'm doing (don't want an apprenticeship). My previous employer was commercial/industrial on a very large scale so I know I will have some growing pains going residence work (already a few) but I digress...

My main question is what are my best options for getting my journeyman's electrical license, I called the DPOR and the aren't much help. How hard is it to prove 5 years experience, what will I need? Will any of my schooling count? What's the best option to get useful and not too time consuming schooling?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

I am a Master Electrician in Virginia and helped write the CEU requirements back a few years ago. If you have any specific questions in regards to the process and requirements that you are not able to find on the website just PM me and I will be more than happy to clarify for you.

To address the 5 years experience.....I have written letters for people I know to verify their experience in the electrical field and it has always been fine. You would simply need to get your previous employer, who is a master electrician to write a letter attesting to your experience and to validate your time under their watch.

18 VAC 50-30-40. Evidence of ability and proficiency.

A. Applicants for examination to be licensed as a journeyman shall furnish evidence that one of the
following experience and education standards has been attained:

1. Four years of practical experience in the trade and 240 hours of formal vocational training in the
trade. Experience in excess of four years may be substituted for formal vocational training at a
ratio of one year of experience for 80 hours of formal training, but not to exceed 200 hours;

2. Four years of practical experience and 80 hours of vocational training for liquefied petroleum
gas fitters and natural gas fitter providers except that no substitute experience will be allowed for
liquefied petroleum gas and natural gas workers;

3. An associate degree or a certificate of completion from at least a two-year program in a
tradesman-related field from an accredited community college or technical school as evidenced 11
by a transcript from the educational institution and two years of practical experience in the trade
for which licensure is desired;

4. A bachelor's degree received from an accredited college or university in an engineering
curriculum related to the trade and one year of practical experience in the trade for which
licensure is desired; or

5. On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade as
verified by reference letters of experience from any of the following: building officials, building
inspectors, current or former employers, contractors, engineers, architects or current or past
clients attesting to the applicant’s work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the
journeyman’s level examination without having to meet the educational requirements.

Now...here is my OPINION.....if you can show you worked for that previous employer for 10 years.....then you can skip the journeymans and do the following..

On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade, as
verified by reference letters of experience from any of the following: building officials, building
inspectors, current or former employers, contractors, engineers, architects or current or past
clients, attesting to the applicant's work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the
master's level examination without having to meet the educational requirements.

Anyway....if you have additional questions....my PM is always open.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
5. On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade as
clients attesting to the applicant’s work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the
journeyman’s level examination without having to meet the educational requirements.

Now...here is my OPINION.....if you can show you worked for that previous employer for 10 years.....then you can skip the journeymans and do the following..

On or after July 1, 1995, an applicant with 10 years of practical experience in the trade, as
clients, attesting to the applicant's work in the trade, may be granted permission to sit for the
master's level examination without having to meet the educational requirements.

Anyway....if you have additional questions....my PM is always open.

I remember when VA went to the requirements in 1995.
If you could get a affidavit stating that you had the required hours of experience and or class the state would issue you a Journeyman's or Masters card.
I did not go along with that mostly because I had just earned my Master's license by studying for and passing the test and now here was the state saying they would issue a license if they receive an affidavit from you.
Lots of people got a license that they didn't deserve......
But on the other hand good men got a license that deserved it, they just couldn't pass the test.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I remember when VA went to the requirements in 1995.
If you could get a affidavit stating that you had the required hours of experience and or class the state would issue you a Journeyman's or Masters card.
I did not go along with that mostly because I had just earned my Master's license by studying for and passing the test and now here was the state saying they would issue a license if they receive an affidavit from you.
Lots of people got a license that they didn't deserve......
But on the other hand good men got a license that deserved it, they just couldn't pass the test.
Yeah...there were alot of issues with that Grandfather Clause during that time where they handed them out....Guess I am one of those that feel you should test for everything and if you can't pass...you are not ready but then again....my opinion is sometimes looked at as skewed...lol....but I agree, that is all it took back in that GF period.....

Schofield

Thanks MasterTheNEC! I do not have 10 years, a few months shy of 6 years (call it 5). In all honesty I would feel better having to pass both journeyman's and masters tests and putting in my time (like to feel like I earned things). Working with my previous employer now to try and get the form cadpoint linked filled out, that should go well as I was laid of and in good standings with my bosses. company had hundreds of Master electricians and I personal worked for 3 during my time there... just hoping the last one will sign off on it bee done there.

My big questions now is do you or anyone have any good recommendations for the 180 hours of vocational training. I declined apprentice from my last employer because the teachers would just let people clock in and watch TV, If I'm going to be stuck there I want to learn, I have a family and my time is precious. That being said I want to get 180 hours of good learning (always like to learn things I'm interested in).

Thanks!

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks MasterTheNEC! I do not have 10 years, a few months shy of 6 years (call it 5). In all honesty I would feel better having to pass both journeyman's and masters tests and putting in my time (like to feel like I earned things). Working with my previous employer now to try and get the form cadpoint linked filled out, that should go well as I was laid of and in good standings with my bosses. company had hundreds of Master electricians and I personal worked for 3 during my time there... just hoping the last one will sign off on it bee done there.

My big questions now is do you or anyone have any good recommendations for the 180 hours of vocational training. I declined apprentice from my last employer because the teachers would just let people clock in and watch TV, If I'm going to be stuck there I want to learn, I have a family and my time is precious. That being said I want to get 180 hours of good learning (always like to learn things I'm interested in).

Thanks!
Though it doesn't help you any there, here if you had a 2 year vocational school you gain an extra year in experience needed to take the journeyman test. This means if you don't go to school you can still become a journeyman you just have to wait one more year then someone that went to school. If you went to a good school, you likely can pass test as soon as you finish school, but I still think that experience is needed before you should be allowed to carry a journeyman license.

If you were here you would likely be eligible to take the test- assuming you can produce some documentation that shows your experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.