Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Indoor unit

Max OCPD

While the manufacturers docs indicate the max OCPD for this unit to be 15 amp, there is footnote 5 which says "recommended". It would be my view that this is an error in the documentation and should be called out to the NRTL and the manufacturer. The instructions can't conflict with the listing. The UL Marking and Application Guide for Heating and Cooling Equipment is very clear on this - the max OCPD is just that and any thing larger would not be in accordance with the listing. This would also include the OCPD type. For those so inclined, here is a link to the quide: https://www.ul.com/wp-content/upload...4/EHCMG_AG.pdf See section 17.
    For the unit in question it would be my view that it would be a violation to install this with an OCPD larger than 15 amp based on the listing.

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    So would you install it per the engineered plans with a 25 amp OCPD to a 20a rated disconnect at the unit or not?

JAP>
    Most times not.

Many times they won't even have the furnace installed that was on the specs, though it will be similar capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Most times not.

Many times they won't even have the furnace installed that was on the specs, though it will be similar capacity.
    Me either.

JAP>

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    While the manufacturers docs indicate the max OCPD for this unit to be 15 amp, there is footnote 5 which says "recommended". It would be my view that this is an error in the documentation and should be called out to the NRTL and the manufacturer. The instructions can't conflict with the listing. The UL Marking and Application Guide for Heating and Cooling Equipment is very clear on this - the max OCPD is just that and any thing larger would not be in accordance with the listing. This would also include the OCPD type. For those so inclined, here is a link to the quide: https://www.ul.com/wp-content/upload...4/EHCMG_AG.pdf See section 17.
    For the unit in question it would be my view that it would be a violation to install this with an OCPD larger than 15 amp based on the listing.
    Then the onus of liability is on them.

One could not reasonably assume that a sparky needs to verify the validity of every set of instructions that comes with equipment.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post

One could not reasonably assume that a sparky needs to verify the validity of every set of instructions that comes with equipment.
    Ok, fair enough but I'll bet that unit has a data plate on it that indicates the max OCPD. That would say it all to me as an inspector - you can not exceed the max value, period.

The document being quoted is a specification document. This is not an installation manual. The installation manual is very specific in requiring the MOCP on the nameplate be used.

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    Ok, fair enough but I'll bet that unit has a data plate on it that indicates the max OCPD. That would say it all to me as an inspector - you can not exceed the max value, period.
    Agreed, if the nameplate said one thing and the instructions another, nameplate rules without a doubt.

This whole thread started because there was no nameplate. Or later OP found it but had not said at beginning. Or was it that some info missing on the nameplate........

IDK, thread has gotten so muddled I have forgotten at this point.

Derek

This post has become muddled for sure, and, I'd bet that unit has a nameplate on it somewhere with all of the information needed.

JAP>

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.

IDK, thread has gotten so muddled I have forgotten at this point.
    Did you happen to notice the question about voltage drop for a fire pump that showed up for a half second?
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    Did you happen to notice the question about voltage drop for a fire pump that showed up for a half second?
    Yeah and it was too much for even me to comment on and I got pretty low standards.

Just wait till someone wonders whether AFCI is needed for the circuit and it’s all over.

I am gonna go and see if I can find me a 208V high leg delta service to play with.....

Derek