• Only with unqualified personal

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
True, and you may have a good point here, but I dont think I have ever seen a baseboard element shorted to ground. I'snt the nichrome wire imbedded in an insulating material? Even then I dont think all 8 baseboards will do it at once.

True never seen a baseboard element shorted to ground, however I have seen the wiring inside the unit shorted to ground.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
FWIW here is the rule that says its ok :D

(4) Where two or more fixtures, cable sets, heating panel sets, or parallel heating sets are grouped on a single
branch circuit, the non-heating leads of cable sets and taps to cable sets, fixtures, and strip systems shall
(a) have an ampacity not less than one-third the rating of the branch circuit overcurrent device; and
(b) be not more than 7.5 m in length.

(5) Where the heating portion of a cable set is not totally embedded in non-combustible material, the rating
or setting of the branch circuit overcurrent devices shall not exceed 15 A.

(6) Where a service, feeder, or branch circuit is used solely for the supply of energy to heating equipment, the
load, as determined using Rule 62-116, shall not exceed
(a) 100% of the rating or setting of the overcurrent devices protecting the service conductors, feeder
conductors, or branch circuit conductors when the fused switch or circuit breaker is marked for
continuous operation at 100% of the ampere rating of its overcurrent devices; or
(b) 80% of the rating or setting of the overcurrent devices protecting the service conductors, feeder
conductors, or branch circuit conductors when the fused switch or circuit breaker is marked for
continuous operation at 80% of the ampere rating of its overcurrent devices.

(7) Service, feeder, or branch conductors supplying only fixed resistance heating loads shall be permitted to
have an ampacity less than the rating or setting of the circuit overcurrent protection, provided that their
ampacity is
(a) not less than the load; and
(b) at least 80% of the rating or setting of the circuit overcurrent protection.

(8) Notwithstanding Subrule (7)(b), where 125% of the allowable ampacity of a conductor does not
correspond to a standard rating of the overcurrent device, the next higher standard rating shall be
permitted.

At least it reads like that?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Is that quote you dropped out of the blue from the CEC?

It does not sound like branch circuit wiring and baseboard heat to me.

Yes, from the 2012 Canadian Electrical Code.

Why doesnt it sound like baseboard heat and branch circuits :blink:

7) Service, feeder, or branch conductors supplying only fixed resistance heating loads shall be permitted to
have an ampacity less than the rating or setting of the circuit overcurrent protection, provided that their
ampacity is
(a) not less than the load; and
(b) at least 80% of the rating or setting of the circuit overcurrent protection.

iwire

Staff member
Yes, from the 2012 Canadian Electrical Code.

Why doesnt it sound like baseboard heat and branch circuits :blink:

4, 5 & 6. Perhaps you could have been more concise. :p

I see where you are looking now and I say again good luck with your proposal. :p

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
4, 5 & 6. Perhaps you could have been more concise. :p

I see where you are looking now and I say again good luck with your proposal. :p

But if Canada allows it why not us?

The only risk I see is unqualified personnel adding more heaters, other than that its no different then a motor load IMO.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
But if Canada allows it why not us?

The only risk I see is unqualified personnel adding more heaters, other than that its no different then a motor load IMO.
As I was once told by an attorney, you are trying to apply logic where logic does not apply. :p

peter d

My impression of the CEC is that it's somewhat less relaxed than the NEC, and for that I admire it. I think most NEC residential wiring systems are overkill.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
My impression of the CEC is that it's somewhat less relaxed than the NEC, and for that I admire it. I think most NEC residential wiring systems are overkill.

I agree. For example most water heaters would be fine with 12-2 if not 14-2 and a 20amp breaker. I think a lot of this is in place to protect against unqualified personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.