Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holes in steel studs

I recently did a job that was discussed on here in regards to drilling holes in engineered wood floor joist these joist had specs as well on where to drill holes how far apart how big etc. I told the GC you mark them and I'll drill them this way there was no confusion. Maybe you can give that a try

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    Is burning holes with a torch nfg? Oops!
    Well, just a tad excessive.....
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    Is burning holes with a torch nfg? Oops!
    Pretty old school. Get a big enough laser that you can do the whole wall at one time.

Hendrix is offline Inactive, Email Never Verified
    Quote Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
    I sometimes wonder if any of you guys are able to get anything accomplished at all.
    Nice whether on your Planet....

Hendrix is offline Inactive, Email Never Verified
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Pretty old school. Get a big enough laser that you can do the whole wall at one time.
    And you can run NM/WO bushings

Never had an inspector even look twice at this. Maybe not bring it up and give the inspectors something else to look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Muneepit View Post
    Never had an inspector even look twice at this. Maybe not bring it up and give the inspectors something else to look at?
    Should be the building inspector enforcing this and not an EI, if this is the rules. Plumbers HVAC and others possibly put holes in them also.

Quote Originally Posted by phisher View Post
    Our inspector is telling me that we cannot punch our own holes in the web of steel studs. I did a bunch of research online and he may be correct. The steel stud manufactures have parameters for holes sizes and where they can be made. Center of web no closer than 2' in addition to length and with dimension of the hole.

1) Has anybody run into this before?

2) Is there a repair for making additional holes? We really don't want to re run all the conduit.

Thanks

You could use the floor track to fit over the the stud where the holes are punched?

Is this a multitrade combo inspector or just an electrical inspector?

I think an electrical inspector is WELL outside their jurisdiction looking for documentation on how to run your electrical through building materials. If the electrical is installed in a code compliant raceway or cable, then it sounds like they better be ready to show a code reference or go pound sand.

If this is a framing inspector, then they might have a leg to stand on, but I still can't understand why they would be talking to you and not the framers. Inspectors over here only deal with the company that called them in for the inspection, not third parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Muneepit View Post
    You could use the floor track to fit over the the stud where the holes are punched?
    Why not just use a knockout plug?

Name:  36223601.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  22.3 KB