Hot Tub install....

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Unless you are concerned about the inch or so of distance from the front face of the panel to the front face of the wooden box that surrounds the panel, I do not see a problem. You appear to have the minimum of 30 inches of width of clear space from the left side of the panel in the right hand direction. There is no requirement to also have clear space to the left of the panel. There is also no rule about having a water source or a thing that holds water in the vicinity of a panel, so long as it is not within the required working space.

stickboy1375

I was going with 680.22(C), The CB is the disconnect, are you considering the cabinet door a permanent barrier?

680.43 Indoor installations shall comply with sections I and II of 680...

also have an issue with 680.43 (A)(1)

I'm probably wrong because of the cabinet door, but it seems a joke to me...

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was going with 680.22(C), The CB is the disconnect, are you considering the cabinet door a permanent barrier?

Good point

kwired

Electron manager
I am finding requirements to have receptacles, switches, the disconnecting means for the pool or spa at least 5 or 6 feet away but nothing that prohibits the panelboard from being that close.

But if the disconnecting means is a breaker in that panel that is not allowed - have to run a line to at least 5 feet away then place the disconnecting means for the spa:huh:

The panelboard cabinet and other metal enclosures would need bonded to the equipotential bonding though.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am finding requirements to have receptacles, switches, the disconnecting means for the pool or spa at least 5 or 6 feet away but nothing that prohibits the panelboard from being that close.

But if the disconnecting means is a breaker in that panel that is not allowed - have to run a line to at least 5 feet away then place the disconnecting means for the spa:huh:

The panelboard cabinet and other metal enclosures would need bonded to the equipotential bonding though.

The disconnect for the spa is in the panel. That is not 5' from the tub

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Correct. But if you run out of the panel to a disconnect five feat away and then back to hot tub everything is hunky dory. Weird isn't it?

JMHO, But, If the code were to cover for every possible scenario, you wouldn't have time in your lifetime to read it all.
This just goes to show how stupid an installation could get when the code doesn't have the space in the pages to tell you you should know better.
Even if this wasn't under inspection, if it were me , I'd call an inspector to get a 2nd opinion before I'd hook one up in a location such as this.

JAP>

david

Couple that with 680.43 (C) ) and I think your concern needs consideration.

680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(D) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.

Edit: Ill bet some of the breakers are SWD

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Couple that with 680.43 (C) ) and I think your concern needs consideration.

680.22 Area Lighting, Receptacles, and Equipment.
(D) Switching Devices. Switching devices shall be located at least 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside walls of a pool unless separated from the pool by a solid fence, wall, or other permanent barrier. Alternatively, a switch that is listed as being acceptable for use within 1.5 m (5 ft) shall be permitted.

Edit: Ill bet some of the breakers are SWD

I don't think that code was always there.
Secondly look at the definition of "Switching Device "

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Correct. But if you run out of the panel to a disconnect five feat away and then back to hot tub everything is hunky dory. Weird isn't it?

I don't agree as the breaker in the panel is a disconnect also. You just don't get to decide which one is the disco

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't agree as the breaker in the panel is a disconnect also. You just don't get to decide which one is the disco

I felt the exact same way on this, but then thought about it. If we're considering the Breaker in the panel feeding the disconnect a disconnect also,,,, and the panel was say 50' away and not in sight, we'd never be able to hook up a hot tub.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I felt the exact same way on this, but then thought about it. If we're considering the Breaker in the panel feeding the disconnect a disconnect also,,,, and the panel was say 50' away and not in sight, we'd never be able to hook up a hot tub.

JAP>

That makes no sense. If the panel is more than 50' away then a disconnect must be installed no less than 5' from the tub. How does that make a hookup impossible. As long as one disconnect meets the criteria then it's not an issue.

If the NEC does not want a disconnect closer than 5' then why do you think a panel would be allowed???. Let's not over think this.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
That makes no sense. If the panel is more than 50' away then a disconnect must be installed no less than 5' from the tub. How does that make a hookup impossible. As long as one disconnect meets the criteria then it's not an issue.

If the NEC does not want a disconnect closer than 5' then why do you think a panel would be allowed???. Let's not over think this.

You don't make any sense.

Quote "I don't agree as the breaker in the panel is a disconnect also. You just don't get to decide which one is the disco"

If your considering the breaker in the panel and the disconnect (2) Disconnects that have to be shut off a panel that is not within site would never meet the rule.

I consider the Disconnect 5' away from the tub the only disconnect I need to contend with.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Well in post #2 you said there was no violation so I guess you think a panel is fine closer than 5' from the Tub.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.