Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holes in steel studs

Holes in steel studs

Our inspector is telling me that we cannot punch our own holes in the web of steel studs. I did a bunch of research online and he may be correct. The steel stud manufactures have parameters for holes sizes and where they can be made. Center of web no closer than 2' in addition to length and with dimension of the hole.

1) Has anybody run into this before?

2) Is there a repair for making additional holes? We really don't want to re run all the conduit.

Thanks

Punched literally a few thousand holes or more over the years.

Got a link to where you got the specs?

We drill out wooden studs, so why would punching metal be any different?

I have never really did more than use the same basic rules for both.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

The IBC addresses this as well as other building codes i would suspect. load bearing non load bearing and so on.

See attached. I checked the IBC and Steel Stud Manufactures Association. Both say additional holes have to be approved. Our inspector wants a document that allows us to make additional holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by phisher View Post
    See attached. I checked the IBC and Steel Stud Manufactures Association. Both say additional holes have to be approved. Our inspector wants a document that allows us to make additional holes.
    Check the documentation from the manufacturer of your particular steel studs. They are the only ones that can provide such a document since IBC and the industry association are silent.

I sometimes wonder if any of you guys are able to get anything accomplished at all.
    85deg. an Sunny today.

Such construction has no structural value for the most part, it is simply a partition, though it can have a fire rating, but that mostly depends on what you cover it with. The studs have little strength even as a partition until drywall is attached.

... additional holes have to be approved...
    They are approved, by the company that made my stud punch.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Our inspector is telling me that we cannot punch our own holes in the web of steel studs. I did a bunch of research online and he may be correct. The steel stud manufactures have parameters for holes sizes and where they can be made. Center of web no closer than 2' in addition to length and with dimension of the hole.

1) Has anybody run into this before?

2) Is there a repair for making additional holes? We really don't want to re run all the conduit.

Thanks
    That is ridiculous unless these are load bearing studs there is no reason not to make holes where needed. I would not waste any time with this guy. Everybody has a boss, find his and find out if this policy is really being enforced everywhere in your area.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Such construction has no structural value for the most part, it is simply a partition, though it can have a fire rating, but that mostly depends on what you cover it with. The studs have little strength even as a partition until drywall is attached.

understanding your point.

there are different Gage steel studs, i have seen steel with a mechanical room above them, in a recent dollar bottom, all the the mechanical equipment including a MCC making the studs load bearing