NEC checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
While obviously I cannot hit every possible thing, I am trying to make a checklist up for our inspectors to look at when inspecting wiring and conduit inside of small control buildings. The work is relatively minimal, so I am don't need anything elaborate. Just curious if anyone has some advice on things to add, or maybe an inspection sheet of their own they would be willing to share.

Things like tying all the grounds that run through a metal box to the box. Simple things to look for that are going to get us nailed when the local inspector takes a look.

Or securing conduit.

Little things that are real obvious to people in the trade for 20 years, but maybe not so obvious to others.

Tony S

NEC doesn't require many things to actually work, just that they are free of hazards to life and property.

inc-giggle.gif
OK forget #2
giggle2.gif

^^^ BTW are you absolutely sure on that? ^^^

iwire

Staff member
inc-giggle.gif
OK forget #2
giggle2.gif

The NEC job is safety, not quality, not performance. Typically those requirements are in the job specifications from the jobs engineers or customer requirements. As an example other than for fire pumps and maybe sensitive electronic equipment does the NEC have voltage drop limitations.

As Don has mentioned to you there are many times insulation testing is required by contract documents.

Freedom of choice is a great thing for customers to have. :thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
inc-giggle.gif
OK forget #2
giggle2.gif

If the inspector's job is to check for NEC compliance only, Yes. There may be some items in special situations where performance checks are required in NEC, one example I can think of involves testing ground fault protection (equipment GFP for wye systems over 250 volts to ground not GFCI). Otherwise general rules of NEC only cover installation methods - nothing on testing or even a requirement that most items even need to work properly.

If an inspector's job includes ensuring design specifications are followed - then he may be making sure items do work as designed.

growler

While obviously I cannot hit every possible thing, I am trying to make a checklist up for our inspectors to look at when inspecting wiring and conduit inside of small control buildings. The work is relatively minimal, so I am don't need anything elaborate. Just curious if anyone has some advice on things to add, or maybe an inspection sheet of their own they would be willing to share.

Little things that are real obvious to people in the trade for 20 years, but maybe not so obvious to others.

Are you trying to do a check for a rough inspection or a final?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Things like tying all the grounds that run through a metal box to the box. Simple things to look for that are going to get us nailed when the local inspector takes a look.

Or securing conduit.

Securing conduit is a good one. I know I am prone to leaving out a strap or clamp even on the days when I am trying to do a good job.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The NEC job is safety, not quality, not performance. Typically those requirements are in the job specifications from the jobs engineers or customer requirements. As an example other than for fire pumps and maybe sensitive electronic equipment does the NEC have voltage drop limitations.

As Don has mentioned to you there are many times insulation testing is required by contract documents.

Freedom of choice is a great thing for customers to have. :thumbsup:

Awful example. Voltage drop will not burn down a home. Damaged insulation can, and we all know breakers have limitations. An IR test would catch this. And by IR I mean insulation resistance, so don't even try that trick :p

peter d

Awful example. Voltage drop will not burn down a home. Damaged insulation can, and we all know breakers have limitations. An IR test would catch this. And by IR I mean insulation resistance, so don't even try that trick :p

You're not suggesting we start megging residential circuits, are you? :happyno:

iwire

Staff member
Awful example. Voltage drop will not burn down a home.

It is a fine example of lack of performance requirements which is one of the criteria I mentioned.

we all know breakers have limitations. An IR test would catch this.

Name a safety device that does not have limitations.

And by IR I mean insulation resistance, so don't even try that trick :p

Why don't you stop calling it by the wrong name?

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yeah, I guess it would be if you don't know how to do your job. :p

Or the inspector.

So, what you are telling me is that you have proof of this at every job?

110.7 Wiring Integrity. Completed wiring installations
shall be free from short circuits, ground faults, or any connections
to ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere
in this Code.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Unfortunately if that customer is a homeowner they don't get any choice just like no customer gets to choose not to use OCPDs either.

But somehow electricians get to pick and choose if they comply with 110.7

110.7 Wiring Integrity. Completed wiring installations
shall be free from short circuits, ground faults, or any connections
to ground other than as required or permitted elsewhere
in this Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.