Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepping up from 480Y/277V to 12470Y/7200V

OP: smoothops makes very good points.

we have 2 vendors out here that will provide t4 as part of the generator package, but there are modified after the fact and the vendor, not the manufacturer, takes responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Shujinko View Post
    One-Line As-built of Existing System

Attachment 19301
    off topic, but that loop arrangement, ugh! owner can't inspect dead switches without shutting down the entire lineup cause there isn't a tie on the bus!! perhaps they can withstand a couple hours of down time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenieur View Post
    based on the single line
    why the 480 xfer switch since the 12.47 gear has one too?
    the only thing that feeds it is the gen?

me: get rid of the gen, ats, xfmr and get a 12.46 gen as long as the cost delta is not too large and they do not require a 1:1 iso xfmr
    You have a great question, why is there an ATS on the load side of the generator? This is an existing installation, but it's not clear why it was done as this ATS is only being fed from the generator. Maybe they installed this as a way to isolate the generator from the transformer, if the generator or transformer ever need to be taken offline for maintenance. I will have to investigate the history of this installation.

The previous poster makes a great point, a 12470/7200 gen won't be able to be kept in a simple aluminum shed and additionally the maintenance staff at the site only includes electricians trained to deal with 600V and below systems not MV systems.

Any idea on the construction requirements of a building that would house a 12470/7200 generator? What standard or code covers this? I think the 12470/7200 gen will add cost and other complications that my client might not be willing to entertain.

Quote Originally Posted by drktmplr12 View Post
    OP: smoothops makes very good points.

we have 2 vendors out here that will provide t4 as part of the generator package, but there are modified after the fact and the vendor, not the manufacturer, takes responsibility.

off topic, but that loop arrangement, ugh! owner can't inspect dead switches without shutting down the entire lineup cause there isn't a tie on the bus!! perhaps they can withstand a couple hours of down time.
    This client's main interest is to continue getting the rebate from the utility company for the Back-Up Generator Program. I think that it wouldn't be economically feasible to change the entire loop system based on what the client is looking to achieve.