Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Underground Service Entrance Conductors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Berkeley, CA

    Underground Service Entrance Conductors

    Hi everyone,

    I know there's no exact answer here, but I'm curious about the cost of upgrading underground service entrance conductors for a typical suburban home. What were some prices you were quoted in the past?

    The conductors are presently able to support a 100amp service, but nothing more. I just want to upgrade to a 125 service. I'm in Pacific Gas & Electric territory here in California.

    Kind Regards,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    3 Hr 2 Min from Winged Horses
    I moved this to the general electrical forum, it was not really a PV question.

    I would price out a more common 200A upgrade. The cost to go from 100A to 125A will prolly not be worth it.

    You will most likely get more bang for you buck. Labor will be basically the same and materials not much more.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Athol, ID
    I would be surprised if PG&E will supply you a 125A service if it's a standard 240/120 residential service. Many utilities have done away with the 100/125A service and only offer 200A. Our utility (California) charges fees based on "200A or less", so there's no cost advantage for less than 200A.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tkelly View Post
    The conductors are presently able to support a 100amp service, but nothing more.
    I'm curious about this statement. Is it your opinion, or is it actually stated by PG&E?

    The gauge of the power company underground service lateral is not related to the gauges specified in the NEC for various currents, and, as a rule, in my experience, is significantly smaller than we would be allowed to install from the meter to the service disconnect. I commonly see PoCo #2 & #0 Al XLP supporting 200 A dwelling services.

    In my area, Xcel Energy charges a base rate of $340 plus $6.50 per foot plus a $1500 winter construction cost (Oct 1 thru Apr 15) to install the underground on overhead-to-underground conversions. If the old meter socket does not have an internal bypass, the dwelling owner has to hire an electrician to pull a permit and pay for the upgrade of the meter socket to a full 200 A Xcel approved unit with internal bypass (even if the service is sized only at 125 A.)
    Another Al in Minnesota

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts