User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Outdoor/Weatherproof CL2 power supply??

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. Remember that only the PSB24-060S-P is CL2. But that should be more than enough to operate a relay. I don't know what kind of controller you will be using, but install that in the same WP cabinet and you really don't need to care about CL2.

    -Hal

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Looks good. Remember that only the PSB24-060S-P is CL2. But that should be more than enough to operate a relay. I don't know what kind of controller you will be using, but install that in the same WP cabinet and you really don't need to care about CL2.

    -Hal
    Got it.

    The power supply is to power a stand-alone card reader/keypad, that needs CL2 power. The one thing I am now realizing is that the card reader/keypad doesn’t have a long enough output and can’t find one with an adjustable timer (that is hardened). I need to find a timer/relay so that when the keypad output triggers the relay to close the gas valve, the relay will stay latched for 30+ minutes. You wouldnt happen to know of a relay, timer or timed relay that is hardened (good for -20C to 60C) would you?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The power supply is to power a stand-alone card reader/keypad, that needs CL2 power.
    Just so you know, something doesn't need CL2 power. The CL2 is determined by the power supply which in turn dictates what wiring method you can use. A utilization device may need say 24VDC but there is nothing to prohibit it coming from a Class 1 source as long as the device is capable of handling the current.

    -Hal

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    19,856
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Just so you know, something doesn't need CL2 power. The CL2 is determined by the power supply which in turn dictates what wiring method you can use. A utilization device may need say 24VDC but there is nothing to prohibit it coming from a Class 1 source as long as the device is capable of handling the current.

    -Hal
    Quite to the contrary, a utilization device may be tested and listed only for use with a limited power source. The wiring can be CL2 or Chapter 3, but the source has to be limited.
    Among other things, this is why you cannot always reclassify a Class 2 circuit as Class 1, use Chapter 3 wiring and share a raceway with power wiring. For that to work the utilization equipment must also be listed for use with a Class 1 supply.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose it depends on the type of equipment you are looking at, but I never saw any requirements beyond the required voltage listed in any specs for access control or other LV equipment I deal with.

    Here are the specs for a Cobra Controls CC-3800-EM Water Proof Proximity Access Card Reader and Keypad that I just Googled at random:

    Technical Specifications:


    Work Voltage:12V-24VDC
    Static Current:<=30mA

    Reading Range:3-8cm
    Capacity: 2000 users
    Ambient Temperature:-45C to 60C
    Ambient Humidity:10%-90%
    Electricity lock output:<=3A
    Alarm output:<=20A
    Output short circuit protection time:<=100uS
    Open time:0 - 99 seconds (adjustable)



    -Hal

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Just so you know, something doesn't need CL2 power. The CL2 is determined by the power supply which in turn dictates what wiring method you can use. A utilization device may need say 24VDC but there is nothing to prohibit it coming from a Class 1 source as long as the device is capable of handling the current.

    -Hal

    I understand what you’re saying and in certain cases we can do that in this case a class to circuit is required for the equipment and installation Parameters.

    If this was an industrial setting it wouldn’t be as important but this is a commercial and residential scenario

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see what you are using that says CL2 on it because I have never seen that.

    That key pad/card swipe above is a good example and it's nothing that isn't used in residential.

    As for the not being able to reclassify CL2 as Class 1 wiring, that has to do with the voltage differential possible between the two. Voltage being equal, what difference would it make if you mixed CL2 with Class 1. Only that Class 1 can encompass much higher voltages than CL2 or 3 and it can't be left to the installer to make that call, so the NEC says you can't reclassify, period.

    -Hal

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I would like to see what you are using that says CL2 on it because I have never seen that.

    That key pad/card swipe above is a good example and it's nothing that isn't used in residential.

    As for the not being able to reclassify CL2 as Class 1 wiring, that has to do with the voltage differential possible between the two. Voltage being equal, what difference would it make if you mixed CL2 with Class 1. Only that Class 1 can encompass much higher voltages than CL2 or 3 and it can't be left to the installer to make that call, so the NEC says you can't reclassify, period.

    -Hal
    All power limited electronics that are UL listed require a power limited (class2/3) power supply.

    I’m not using this exact model but it’s the first one I found-

    https://www.nortekcontrol.com/pdf/ma...eM_Install.pdf

    Page two- A UL Listed access control power limited power supply, capable of 4 hours standby, must be used to power the keypad

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh that doesn't say CL2 does it. All that means is that the power supply must be fused for a safe limit. It's common to see these things connected to a 10A mag lock supply with 22 ga wire.

    -Hal

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,736
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Ahh that doesn't say CL2 does it. All that means is that the power supply must be fused for a safe limit. It's common to see these things connected to a 10A mag lock supply with 22 ga wire.

    -Hal
    A fuse is doesn’t create an inherently power limited system by UL standards (in this case UL294), does it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •