Thread: Outdoor/Weatherproof CL2 power supply??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outdoor/Weatherproof CL2 power supply??

Anyone have a recommendation for a line voltage powered power supply with the following characteristics-

120VAC input (hardwired, Not cord and plug)
    12 or 24VDC output (load is less than 1A)
    Class 2 or 3 output
    NRTL listing
    Rated for -20C to 60C or greater
    Weatherproof enclosure

Everything I find is RU, but I don’t need a full 508a panel, just a power supply for a UL listed relay and put the two together in separate enclosures (outdoors) or the same, either way.

I don't understand. If you are going to put a relay (obviously not outdoor/weatherproof) in a weatherproof enclosure why does the power supply need to be weatherproof if you can put it in the same enclosure?

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I don't understand. If you are going to put a relay (obviously not outdoor/weatherproof) in a weatherproof enclosure why does the power supply need to be weatherproof if you can put it in the same enclosure?

-Hal
    Fair question. The power supply doesn’t need to be weatherproof per se but, does need to be rated for high/low temps. The relay is listed for extended temp operation. I will use a a NEMA 4X enclosure to house it.

I have found plenty of power supplies that fit this description except they are not UL listed (only 508a, I’m not building an industrial panel, it’s a building control/automation application)
    Last edited by nhfire77; 01-09-18 at 07:07 AM.

I think your bigger problem is finding something that will withstand 140 deg F or greater. Putting it in an enclosure and you might as well be putting it in an oven. Why can't this setup be located in a location with more reasonable temperatures?

-Hal

And +60c. I stand corrected. It's also UL listed.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Thanks I need one that goes lower than that like -20c or so

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I think your bigger problem is finding something that will withstand 140 deg F or greater. Putting it in an enclosure and you might as well be putting it in an oven. Why can't this setup be located in a location with more reasonable temperatures?

-Hal
    It’s an island essentially. A gas grill 100’ from a building with a single 120v feed. They want control of it. (How is via a 120v gas solenoid-done by plumber, they don’t make a low voltage version. We have to use a programmable power limited controller. Can’t get anything inside