Thread: PVC watertight seal

PVC watertight seal

How do you make pvc seal water tight so water will not enter in outdoor installation underground pvc? Do you use myers hub?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    How do you make pvc seal water tight so water will not enter in outdoor installation underground pvc? Do you use myers hub?

Myers hubs are only listed for RMC and IMC conduit. Heyco and Carlon sell a line of sealing washers that can be used with PVC male adapters. If that isn't an option, to do it properly, you can use a PVC female adapter, and an RMC close nipple with either a Myers hub or a locknut sandwich with one being a sealing locknut.

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post

My 2¢ is that you never assume that any underground conduit run will be water tight.

2nd that!
    condensation can still form inside.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    My 2¢ is that you never assume that any underground conduit run will be water tight.
    +3

Ran underground PVC on a hot humid summer day once, came back next day, never had any rain overnight, just coolness below ground allowed humid air inside conduit to condense some and when we went to pull conductor next day we noticed wetness on pulling equipment that went in dry. This just minor wetness over just the first 24 hours, give it a year and underground may be completely filled if joints don't leak.

This is one product that meets code requirements for sealing conduit entries
    http://www.polywater.com/product/pol...-duct-sealant/
    I have used it and it works OK
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    This is one product that meets code requirements for sealing conduit entries
    http://www.polywater.com/product/pol...-duct-sealant/
    I have used it and it works OK
    Any product that won't damage conductors is acceptable to code.

Their literature saying "meets code requirements" is nothing more then marketing strategy.

All the code sections they do mention only state a situation in which code requires conduit to be sealed

NEC requires products used to seal conduits be identified for the use, 225.27 "sealants shall be identified for the for use with the cable insulation..."
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by tom baker View Post
    NEC requires products used to seal conduits be identified for the use, 225.27 "sealants shall be identified for the for use with the cable insulation..."
    True, but that is not requiring all that much. Adding a label to packaging or even product literature is about all that needs to be done