Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The need for a lighting contactor.

Quote Originally Posted by George Stolz View Post
    With an Intermatic EI600 you can set the latitude more conservatively or liberally if desired to account for cloud cover, and have the added benefit of being able to shut the sign off at closing time, or manually override it at will without electrical tape. They are not bothered by power outages; even pulling out the battery to replace it doesn't lose the time or programming.
    I think I am distracting from the OP. I gave my method, but its based on practices in my area which have some special circumstances.

I have been TOLD that Astro Clocks are terrible for Alaska. That said I have NEVER even seen one installed here, so they could have improved and nobody has used one, but all inquires I have made the answers been don't bother they don't work here. Looking at the instructions the map they show, showing the zone you live in doesn't even show Alaska. Says use North if your in Canada nothing about Alaska. I ASSUME that they don't have enough settings memory to account for amount of swing we have in daylight. We can gain or lose 1-5 min of daylight in a day, not much a day but a week or month it changes quick. Most Places around here use the signs as security lights and want them on illuminating their entrances, so they don't want them off at closing time.

They do look nice for customer use though, leave em the instructions and tell em to have fun call if you can't figure it out, might buy one and mess with it at my house.

Instructions
    https://www.intermatic.com/-/media/i...nstructions-EN

Which is why one of our members developed a plug-in replacement for standard luminaire photocells which uses GPS to find the actual latitude and longitude as well as time. It uses that to accurately determine local sunrise and sunset (even if you are not in the center of a time zone!)
    It does not, however, take into account local weather, topography, or vegetation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Which is why one of our members developed a plug-in replacement for standard luminaire photocells which uses GPS to find the actual latitude and longitude as well as time. It uses that to accurately determine local sunrise and sunset (even if you are not in the center of a time zone!)
    It does not, however, take into account local weather, topography, or vegetation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cool beans... How much?

Quote Originally Posted by AKElectrician View Post
    Cool beans... How much?
    Check your PM.

I just sent link to the website.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Or a photocell and a contactor then when the power goes out for hours your not having to reset anything. Replaced more timers than contactors...
    So, what do you do during the summer solstice when the sun never sets for 24 hours. Parts of Alaska within or near the Arctic circle and other countries like Finland, Denmark and Iceland, have a few days of this "midnight sun" cyclic occurrence.

Be extremely weird for a semi-tropical guy (like me) to go nightclubbing in the middle of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by myspark View Post
    So, what do you do during the summer solstice when the sun never sets for 24 hours. Parts of Alaska within or near the Arctic circle and other countries like Finland, Denmark and Iceland, have a few days of this "midnight sun" cyclic occurrence.

Be extremely weird for a semi-tropical guy (like me) to go nightclubbing in the middle of the day.
    Enjoy it while it lasts...

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Check your PM.

I just sent link to the website.
    Things pretty sweet. Do metal roofs affect its signal? My GPS experiences is it needs a clear view of the sky most roofs, even eves don't allow them to work. If it has to be in a clear view of the sky I don't see how its better than a photocell. Hard to improve on that design other than make it more sensitive. If they aren't affected then yeah these things would be awesome.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Things pretty sweet. Do metal roofs affect its signal? My GPS experiences is it needs a clear view of the sky most roofs, even eves don't allow them to work. If it has to be in a clear view of the sky .
    You do need a partial view of the sky, some obstruction is ok.
    I don't see how its better than a photocell.....
    What do you do when you want the lights to come on at sunset but you want them to go out before sunrise?
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Things pretty sweet. Do metal roofs affect its signal? My GPS experiences is it needs a clear view of the sky most roofs, even eves don't allow them to work. If it has to be in a clear view of the sky I don't see how its better than a photocell. Hard to improve on that design other than make it more sensitive. If they aren't affected then yeah these things would be awesome.
    I am clueless, never installed one.

Call him, ask for Mike.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    You do need a partial view of the sky, some obstruction is ok.

What do you do when you want the lights to come on at sunset but you want them to go out before sunrise?
    Guess I call that guy and have him program me a sensor for the customer...