Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrician

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    If the toggle switch is within sight how is this any different than a toggle switch being used as a disconnecting means for a piece of equipment?
    I agree. If you need to lock out even if within sight - that is beyond what NEC requires but a reality many have to face.

In a raceway wiring method the outlet box at the light could have other circuits within also that aren't even disconnected if you turn of the branch breaker that supplies the light.

If you are only working on the light the switch or the branch breaker for it may be all you need to turn off (and lock out). If you are working on other items in the outlet box then you very well may need to lock off multiple circuits.

I had thought the 'means to lockout' were to be permanent re>110.25, but it appeasr the osha doc differs?

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    I had thought the 'means to lockout' were to be permanent re>110.25, but it appeasr the osha doc differs?

~RJ~
    Looks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post

~RJ~
    Correct for when NEC requires a lockable disconnecting means.

About only time NEC gets involved with lockable disconnecting means is situations where the disconnecting means is not within sight of the equipment it serves, yet NEC doesn't have a general rule for all remote disconnecting means to be lockable - just specific situations.

LOTO safety programs want things locked off in all instances, even if it means using temporary locking means, and usually doesn't matter if the disconnect is within sight or not.

The within sight disconnect NEC requires for motors- doesn't need to be lockable. Your safety program will want you to lock it if you use that to disconnect power to work on that motor or it's driven load though.

Quote Originally Posted by yucatan4 View Post
    Can you tag out a light switch to fix a lighting fixture in a room?
    Where is the light located and what kind of light. Some fluorescents have a disconnect under the cover to disconnect the power to the ballast so I would not do anything else
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    ...Some fluorescents have a disconnect under the cover to disconnect the power to the ballast ...
    It's called a wirenut.

Am I the only one that thinks the subject line is maybe just a little vague?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the subject line is maybe just a little vague?
    You have to have something in subject line to start a thread - he could have just put "E" I guess

Don't forget the neutral in a MWBC.... The neutral the fridge shares in the break room, not fun when you get bit by the white one....

One more:
    There are a lot of MWBC on single pole circuit breakers.
    I think that gadget could be useful, not perfect but neither are the cb lock outs.
    No garranties that anything is safe to work on.
    Remember treat every wire as if it is live.