Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grounding temporary panels

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    I have a vested interest. I am a patient.
    I'll just say you better have good insurance if you are cause of an auto accident that wrecks this truck

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I'll just say you better have good insurance if you are cause of an auto accident that wrecks this truck
    Do not drive anymore.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by 102 Inspector View Post
    Our community wants to provide temporary load centers for downtown events such as parades and festival events. These would be 100 amp panels set up on portable stands, fed with 4-wire assemblies and intended to be plugged into a permanently installed receptacle for power. Would each of this locations be required to establish a new grounding electrode system or is the 4-wire adequate for grounding. All of them will originate from a main panel location. Since each of this portable panels could be considered a separate structure I am thinking an electrode system might be required a each location. Still in preliminary design but requesting any thoughts.
    Late to the party...
    The film and live events industry would grind to an absolute halt if we were required to drive a ground rod(s) at every spider box and cord-and-plug-connected temp panel. The ground would look like Swiss cheese. The only time ground rods are ever driven (and even then, not always) is when portable generators are used. The neutral and ground are bonded at the genny, and a ground rod is whacked into some patch of earth to keep the fire marshal and the dirt worshipers happy. The justification I've heard is... lightning strikes... nothing's gonna save your gear if a bolt from above hits your install directly, ground rod or not.

I wouldn't worry about driving a rod(s) for a temp panel as described, so long as the feed to it were 4-wire (or 5-wire, if three-phase). The neutral and ground buses would of course have to be separated, and the panel treated as a subpanel.

SceneryDriver

Quote Originally Posted by SceneryDriver View Post
    Late to the party...
    The film and live events industry would grind to an absolute halt if we were required to drive a ground rod(s) at every spider box and cord-and-plug-connected temp panel. The ground would look like Swiss cheese. The only time ground rods are ever driven (and even then, not always) is when portable generators are used. The neutral and ground are bonded at the genny, and a ground rod is whacked into some patch of earth to keep the fire marshal and the dirt worshipers happy. The justification I've heard is... lightning strikes... nothing's gonna save your gear if a bolt from above hits your install directly, ground rod or not.

I wouldn't worry about driving a rod(s) for a temp panel as described, so long as the feed to it were 4-wire (or 5-wire, if three-phase). The neutral and ground buses would of course have to be separated, and the panel treated as a subpanel.

SceneryDriver
    I think "Dirt worshiping 101, is typically first training inspectors get on their way to inspector certification.

They don't even have to pay for that course, it is just given to them by inspector unions, associations, or whatever they belong to.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I think "Dirt worshiping 101, is typically first training inspectors get on their way to inspector certification.

They don't even have to pay for that course, it is just given to them by inspector unions, associations, or whatever they belong to.
    No doubt. It's like the greatest thing these people can think of to make the world safe.

"My kids wanted to go to the fair. I said no way. They don't have ground rods at any of their temp panels."

"I never let my kids stay the night at a friends house till I personally make sure there are two ground rods driven at the house they are staying."

"I never go anywhere without a ground rod and a driver in my trunk just in case"
    If Billy Idol or John Denver is on your play list go and reevaluate your life.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    "I never go anywhere without a ground rod and a driver in my trunk just in case"
    This one happens to be true when I have my Bosch rotary hammer with me.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA