rigid conduit sealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
any recommendations on sealant to use on service entrance conduit fittings

If you are talking about around the conductors inside the conduit, I recommend duct seal #31-601 or equal. I have seen spray foam, and that is probably not illegal, but I haven't done any research to find out if it has deleterious affect on the wire insulation. I prefer the duct seal because it comes back out easier.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you are talking about around the conductors inside the conduit, I recommend duct seal #31-601 or equal. I have seen spray foam, and that is probably not illegal, but I haven't done any research to find out if it has deleterious affect on the wire insulation. I prefer the duct seal because it comes back out easier.
I agree about the duct seal and I have looked into using a Dow spray foam product. I contacted Dow and they basically said their products have not been tested and are not listed for that use.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I had an email exchange with one of the expanding foam people once. they claimed their product had been tested and did not have any deleterious effects on wire insulation.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had an email exchange with one of the expanding foam people once. they claimed their product had been tested and did not have any deleterious effects on wire insulation.
Did they offer to send you backup to their claim?

Roger

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When I looked into duct seal before I found it was for dry locations only.

I wonder how they explain this:

"Seals around junction boxes, flashings and service entrances"

Emphasis mine, but straight out of their 2015 catalog.

iwire

Staff member
Well OK, looks like we're talking about two different products. The one I'm looking at was from Ideal and is the product mentioned at #2.

I have been trying to find the info for that specific brand but will be surprised if it can be used outdoors either.

Status
Not open for further replies.