User Tag List

Thread: Minimum distance from ground mount array to pool? NEC 680? 690? Who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimum distance from ground mount array to pool? NEC 680? 690? Who knows?

Hi all,

I need to know if there's a minimum distance requirement between a ground mounted PV array and a swimming pool.

I didn't see anything specific in either 680 or 690...and it might be a building code that changes with every town.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Question...and there is nothing in the electrical code that addresses this ...yet.

Closest rule is 680.22(D) for "Other Outlets"...but of course a PV System is not an Outlet. I would recommend, for Safety to follow this rule for any Interconnected Electric Power Production Source.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Great Question...and there is nothing in the electrical code that addresses this ...yet.

Closest rule is 680.22(D) for "Other Outlets"...but of course a PV System is not an Outlet. I would recommend, for Safety to follow this rule for any Interconnected Electric Power Production Source.
    That's really all I could find as well.

Thanks for your reply. When I get an answer, I'll post it here for anyone else who needs this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see anything about unrelated electrical systems that just happen to be near a pool. I would be careful of running afoul of 680.26 that requires equipotential bonding of metal within 3' of the pool. Just a natural conservatism would lead me to keep all PV system equipment out of reach of anyone in the pool or in adjacent wet areas. I have seen quite a few PV covered trellis structures in Southern California backyards where there are pools. Pretty popular many years ago when LADWP has a moratorium on putting modules on residential roofs. They were built high enough that someone could not reach them from a standing position on the deck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if it helps, but I believe the California Fire Code says that a ground-mount needs to have a minimum of 10' of unobstructed area surrounding it, free of trees, brush, etc.