Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ran into a different service panel today. Is this ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    Is that meter a old A base meter, ie only one phase?
    Yes, i dont know if its a base adaptor or a full abase meter. The other meter next to it is newer style with abase adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    There are a few issues. Looks like there are 3 or more equipment grounding conductor's under the same screw, there are white wires untaped under a breaker and I am not sure what is going on with the main- can't read it and it looks like tape over it for some reason. Also, wires don't appear to be stapled within 12"
    Appears to be stranded wire tho idk any stranded #8 with 3 braids... maybe old NM with reduced sized ground.

NM entering doesnt have 1/4" of jacket in the clamps.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

The meter encloser and panel are both grounded to the same water line.Two ground wires. No outside ground bars. As this meter is inside.

I don't think Square D makes a hold down kit for use in this panel. If they do it probably only works in top space not any space.

They do make main breakers for that panel in 60 amp version though, all NEC standard sizes between 50-225A IIRCC. You just won't find a "stock" load center with anything but 100 or 125 amp already installed or 150, 200, 225 on the 225 amp frame size units.

I have the hold down kit. From another job. Was going to see if the inspector would let me make something to hold down the 60amp breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by my88r View Post
    I have the hold down kit. From another job. Was going to see if the inspector would let me make something to hold down the 60amp breaker.
    Requirement is in 408.36(D)

Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

Nothing in there prohibits you from making your own hold down device - inspector still must approve whatever that may be. Square D does make devices identified for this purpose - kind of hard for an inspector to turn such a thing down - but only one they make that works in that panel fits the top right position. HOM4RK2LA is catalog number.

You see any other problems with the panel??

Depending on what code cycle you are on you may be required to have an arc flash label printed and placed on the panel cover, look at NEC 2014 110.26.

Some inspectors may ding you for not having a bushing on the bare stranded GEC.

Definitely need to be able to see the rating of the main breaker. It being taped will stand out to an inspector and he will scrutinize the entire installation more intensely.

If the water pipe is the only grounding electrode present, you will need a supplemental grounding electrode per 250.53(A)(2). Easiest option is a ground rod driven through the slab right at the panel then bonded (either mechanically or cadwelded) to the existing GEC.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.zinkofsky View Post
    Some inspectors may ding you for not having a bushing on the bare stranded GEC.
    What code section do they state is in violation?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What code section do they state is in violation?
    Haven't experienced it myself, just heard through other people so i don't know what was cited. I do know that some inspectors make up there own codes and that it is often easier to comply than rock the boat and kill the project schedule.

I personally send stuff like that directly to the local AHJ and ask for their opinion than have them tell me on site. It is much easier to argue via email than in person.