Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food trucks

What George said . Food trucks are seldom wired properly, and with GFCIs you'll be chasing trips all day (and won't be fed gratis by the vendors). I do draw the line when a truck is is adapting down to a 5-15 plug; if they trip the GFCI it's too bad for them since I'm not removing it.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Aren't food trucks/trailers licensed or given permits to operate at events? Is an electrical inspection or test too much to expect in exchange for that permit? The vendors need to be notified first, of course.

The very first 30A 120v receptacle we GFCId caught multiple problems in the trailer. It was sold vs repaired.

George's dilemma makes me chuckle. Sorry.
    Tom
    TBLO

Well it's a trade dilemma having to gfci protect the gfci intolerant.

I don't know how we're expected to address the new '17 210.8B requirements

Juxtaposed with the sentiment of mobile food borne pathogens via carneys infecting the populace w/poor refrigeration .....

Maybe the NEC should have a 'no good deed goes unpunished committee'

I think i need a rolaids now.....

~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by George Stolz View Post
    525.23 may apply, meaning GFCI protection not required.

I once went above and beyond and GFCI protected food trucks at a fair that were served with 50A circuits. That stupid act left me looking very stupid and very tired, after chasing downtown umpteen times trying to find causes for umpteen trips. After reading the code thoroughly, I kicked myself for all the money I had wasted and the bad name I had given the company out of a spirit of "better safe than sorry." Food trucks are wired by methheads for free pancakes and GFCIs have no tolerance for them; food truck vendors (and event organizers) have little patience for such nonsense. At least a quarter of the vendors went on generators almost immediately and I was out there the first night of the event after they closed out putting regular breakers in.

I doubt they'll call next year unless they have a short memory or a kind heart.
    A receptacle for a food truck is covered under Article 525Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and SimilarEvents?
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    A receptacle for a food truck is covered under Article 525Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and SimilarEvents?
    I would say that a food fair or the food booth component of a street fair might be covered. There is a congregation of food trucks or booths (which probably need power too) in one area under one management/oversight.

The same food trucks that might participate, when acting independently and scattered throughout the city do not seem to meet the qualification inherent in the Article title.

Well....it's somewhat definitional .....anything i even bought off a roach coach ended up eventful ~RJ~

Quote Originally Posted by user 100 View Post
    Assuming these are 120 volt recs, then I'm going with yes- see 210.8(B) in the 2017
    But what version of the code has the City adopted? If its an older version, then GFCI isn't required.

Quote Originally Posted by user 100 View Post
    Imo, this is more about public safety rather than the concerns from the vendors- a lot of these types of vehicles are pretty old and
    people do get bit. If they don't want to use the city recs, perhaps they can compromise by being still able to rent the spots and doing their business running off their own gennys- but also agree to some stipulations imposed by the city.
    Sounded to me like city provided permanent power to eliminate use of generators.

Question is what exactly are these "food trucks" 30 amps isn't a lot for a sales application. It is probably plenty for overnight parking of "reefer" trucks, and maybe the noise of generators on such trucks was the mission when installing permanent power?

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Sounded to me like city provided permanent power to eliminate use of generators.

Question is what exactly are these "food trucks" 30 amps isn't a lot for a sales application. It is probably plenty for overnight parking of "reefer" trucks, and maybe the noise of generators on such trucks was the mission when installing permanent power?
    That is right, to eliminate the gennys I think for enviromental. Lots of trucks, mostly mexican, been there, for years running gennys, right off of I-95 in New Haven, Ct. Now with the permanent power whatever the permit fee was before I think it went up $500.00. Again pedestals with a 240 volt 30 amp twistlock and also a 120volt TR WR receptacle. Conn. is on NEC 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    But what version of the code has the City adopted? If its an older version, then GFCI isn't required.
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    That is right, to eliminate the gennys I think for enviromental. Lots of trucks, mostly mexican, been there, for years running gennys, right off of I-95 in New Haven, Ct. Now with the permanent power whatever the permit fee was before I think it went up $500.00. Again pedestals with a 240 volt 30 amp twistlock and also a 120volt TR WR receptacle. Conn. is on NEC 2014.
    So, since Conn is on the '14:

The 120v rec will need to be gfci if they are 20 amps or less and the other rec (the 30a 240 twistlock ) will not.