Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Food trucks

Food trucks

The city recently provided permanent power in the form of 30 amp twistlock receptacles in pedestals for food trucks to plug in and not use generators. The question came up about should these receptacles be gfi protected.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    The city recently provided permanent power in the form of 30 amp twistlock receptacles in pedestals for food trucks to plug in and not use generators. The question came up about should these receptacles be gfi protected.
    Assuming these are 120 volt recs, then I'm going with yes- see 210.8(B) in the 2017- The key operative words of the passage are .."150 volts to ground or less.....50 amperes or less

Unless there is a unicorn somewhere else in the code that another member knows about.

Even if it wasn't required, not a bad idea imo.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    That will sort out the serious vendors. Wholeheartedly support the idea.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by user 100 View Post
    Assuming these are 120 volt recs, then I'm going with yes- see 210.8(B) in the 2017- The key operative words of the passage are .."150 volts to ground or less.....50 amperes or less

Unless there is a unicorn somewhere else in the code that another member knows about.

240 volt 30 amp twistlocks, I assume feeding a panel in the food truck. I was thinking along the lines of mobile home, park trailors etc. where I see no GFI requirement. Any 110 receptacles in the truck itself would be a different story, consider it like a commercial kitchen.

240 volt 30 amp twistlocks, I assume feeding a panel in the food truck. I was thinking along the lines of mobile home, park trailors etc. where I see no GFI requirement. Any 110 receptacles in the truck itself would be a different story, consider it like a commercial kitchen.
    Then no- there is no GFCI requirement.

Still think its a good idea.

Now, as for the gfci requirement for trucks themselves, outside of a local amendment the NEC doesn't apply- see 90.5(B)
    Still a good idea to just do it anyway.
    Last edited by user 100; 01-11-18 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarification

Now, as for the requirement for trucks themselves, outside of a local amendment the NEC doesn't apply- see 90.5(B)
    Yes, good idea, the city might be liable if some one got hurt. The other side is vendors are paying for these spots. A nuisance trip with a locked panel 200 feet away would not go over big. The park electrician told me they did gfi protection in a different part of the city and some truck owners had to hire electricians to separate the ground and neutra lbond in their trucks.

Yes, good idea, the city might be liable if some one got hurt. The other side is vendors are paying for these spots. A nuisance trip with a locked panel 200 feet away would not go over big.
    Imo, this is more about public safety rather than the concerns from the vendors- a lot of these types of vehicles are pretty old and
    people do get bit. If they don't want to use the city recs, perhaps they can compromise by being still able to rent the spots and doing their business running off their own gennys- but also agree to some stipulations imposed by the city.

Under the 2017 GFCI protection is required for these outdoor receptacles. As User stated look at 210.8(B)(4). Food trucks are outside of the purview of the NEC and in many places are regulated by the health department.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Under the 2017 GFCI protection is required for these outdoor receptacles. As ​User stated look at 210.8(B)(4). Food trucks are outside of the purview of the NEC and in many places are regulated by the health department.
    Ah, he was correct at first.....

Then there was this b/c he did not read far enough down thru 210.8(B) did not see (4) and was thinking of something else......
    VVVVVVV

Now, as for the gfci requirement for trucks themselves, outside of a local amendment the NEC doesn't apply- see 90.5(B)
    GerryB, infinity found the "unicorn", they DO have to be gfci per the '17....
    Last edited by user 100; 01-11-18 at 08:16 PM.

525.23 may apply, meaning GFCI protection not required.

I once went above and beyond and GFCI protected food trucks at a fair that were served with 50A circuits. That stupid act left me looking very stupid and very tired, after chasing downtown umpteen times trying to find causes for umpteen trips. After reading the code thoroughly, I kicked myself for all the money I had wasted and the bad name I had given the company out of a spirit of "better safe than sorry." Food trucks are wired by methheads for free pancakes and GFCIs have no tolerance for them; food truck vendors (and event organizers) have little patience for such nonsense. At least a quarter of the vendors went on generators almost immediately and I was out there the first night of the event after they closed out putting regular breakers in.

I doubt they'll call next year unless they have a short memory or a kind heart.