Holding Multiple Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcanyonboltz

Is there any reason or benefit to holding both a RW and JW license? A con is if you held both you'd have to pay to renew both, any pros? Thanks

zcanyonboltz

None. You can't even get a write off as a charitable contribution.

Thanks I didn't think so. I did know a guy who holds a ME and JW but this is kinda pointless too? He said he can work for someone as a JW not having to be paid as a ME and then get his own work with his ME. Every 3 years he still has to do PDUs for both and pay to renew both.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Cost of license is a business expense. [I an not a tax accountant, but I deduct it every year without any adverse reaction from IRS.]

almost certainly deductible as a business expense.

but that just means you don't have to pay taxes on that amount. why spend it if you don't gain anything for the money spent?

iwire

Staff member
Thanks I didn't think so. I did know a guy who holds a ME and JW but this is kinda pointless too? He said he can work for someone as a JW not having to be paid as a ME and then get his own work with his ME. Every 3 years he still has to do PDUs for both and pay to renew both.

It really depends on local area rules.

Where I am you need to keep both your masters and jouneymans licenses if you want to run a company and work with the tools.

fmtjfw

In WV

In WV

Plans Inspector also requires passing Commercial Inspector test
Commercial Inspector also requires passing Residential Inspector test
Residential Inspector requires Master Electrician's license to take test
A Master can do anything a Journeyman or Apprentice can do and requires Journeyman's and 5 years to take test
A Journeyman can do anything an Apprentice can do and requires 4 years as Apprentice or 1080 hours in certified training program
An Apprentice can do nothing without the direct supervision of a Master or Journeyman and requires passing a test or being in a certified training program
A Master or a Journeyman can supervise no more than 3 Apprentices.
A Journeyman can work without supervision.

Master's appears not be required to operate as an Electrical Contractor.

"Journeyman" is an historical term and is not limited to males.

I don't know if an Inspector can do anything other than inspect

There are some speciality -- limited licenses as well.

Last edited:

gaelectric

I hold a masters license so I can be the responsible party for my company. I hold my JW as it's reciprocal with some nearby states where the masters is not. Not that I would go to work in another state any time soon but you never know what the future brings.

Just extra money no PDU's for the second license.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It really depends on local area rules.

Where I am you need to keep both your masters and jouneymans licenses if you want to run a company and work with the tools.
In Colorado you need a masters or have a master working for you to be an EC otherwise there is no difference between it and a journeyman's. There is no reason to hang on to a residential wiremans once you have a journeyman's at all. I never even got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.