Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spa bonding Article 680.62B3

spa bonding Article 680.62B3

So I have installed electric to at least 50 indoor "Jacuzzi" tubs in my years, (do mostly commercial) but i didn't realize until today they were all wired with Romex. Now I just ran into an issue in a multi story condo using MC cable to wire a Jacuzzi the same way I have for years. The inspector here in Pompano Beach FL is telling me to bond to article 680.62B. I assume he is referencing sub paragraph (3) "Metal sheathed cables and raceways and metal pipes that are with in 1.5 meters (5') of the inside walls of the tub and not separated from the tub by permanent barrier" Yes, I bonded the copper pipesHow do I bond the MC cable? A pipe ground clamp? I assume with that logic I will also have to mount a lug on the outside of the 1900 box housing the GFI?
    Lesson learned either car-flex or smurf for this type of application in the future.

To what is the MC attached on each end, and how?

Single set screw clamp type MC connectors with lock nut, approved for the use. The MC is connected to two 1900 boxes, one for the GFI and the other to what was the original GFI location but is now a junction box, because they turned the spa around,due to drain pitch. (there is access for both sides of tub). From the junction box it goes home in MC.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    I don't see how the MC sheathe is not bonded since it is in a listed connector.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

I wonder if he was referencing art. 680.26(B)(2) --perimeter bonding. If so there may be an exception to that in 680.42(B)
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Reading 680.42 (b) , if items 1-4 are met it would seem no further bonding is required , the only '17 change might be on 1, The spa or hot tub shall be listed, labeled, and identified as a self-contained spa.

I suppose i'd be looking for the label.....

Some kind hearted poster sent me this last time i asked....

~RJ~
    Last edited by romex jockey; 01-12-18 at 06:20 AM. Reason: add tia

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    I wonder if he was referencing art. 680.26(B)(2) --perimeter bonding. If so there may be an exception to that in 680.42(B)
    I bonded the motor and the copper water lines, I believe the rest is (usually) plastic. I didn't notice anything abnormal with tub install. Going today, I will see if there is something unique about this tub and there is something else metal I have to worry about.

But at the end of the day 680.62B.3 states that I have to bond the MC. I guess i will use a ground clamp and see what happens???

Quote Originally Posted by Suncoastpower View Post
    I bonded the motor and the copper water lines, I believe the rest is (usually) plastic. I didn't notice anything abnormal with tub install. Going today, I will see if there is something unique about this tub and there is something else metal I have to worry about.

But at the end of the day 680.62B.3 states that I have to bond the MC. I guess i will use a ground clamp and see what happens???
    I am talking about the perimeter bond that may be required, around the outside of the tub
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Suncoastpower View Post

Small $ to pay to pass .....~RJ~

Wouldn’t the exception take care of that stuff? Assuming there isn’t anything major I didn’t notice, but I don’t think so. Keep you posted.