Labor rate per square foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You can get around the legal issues by paying everyone minimum wage, carrying workers comp for them etc and make the piece rate above and beyond that.

I still would say no way.

Yeah I get the fact that as long as the piece work is greater than the minimum wage per hours worked.

However how do you account for the hours worked?
how about call back hours.
work comp cares about hours not wage equivalents.

Rayl82

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you are doing piece work you are essentially a sub contractor so you keep track of your own hrs and there is only work comp if you are providing yourself with it... It's like doing a side job

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if you are doing piece work you are essentially a sub contractor so you keep track of your own hrs and there is only work comp if you are providing yourself with it... It's like doing a side job

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Even in your state you need a license to be a contractor. No License no subcontract.

Work comp required by the employer, State and federal taxes

iwire

Staff member
Yeah I get the fact that as long as the piece work is greater than the minimum wage per hours worked.

However how do you account for the hours worked?
how about call back hours.
work comp cares about hours not wage equivalents.

You are not getting what I am saying.

I am saying you would pay the workers minimum wage, you would track the time however you normally would. Then separately you would deal with the incentive money for production, of course paying taxes on that etc so the workers would in no way shape or form be 'subs' they would be employees.

As far as call back you would have to pay them at least minimum wage.

It can be done legally, I just can't see why any employee would agree to it.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
You are not getting what I am saying.

I am saying you would pay the workers minimum wage, you would track the time however you normally would. Then separately you would deal with the incentive money for production, of course paying taxes on that etc so the workers would in no way shape or form be 'subs' they would be employees.

As far as call back you would have to pay them at least minimum wage.

You are correct , I see it from your perspective. I guess that would work but others have claimed the subcontractor thing and I don't see that working if their state requires a license.

growler

It doesn't matter if it's fair or not. He has to compete with EC's using sub-crews that rough/trim on sq/ft or flat rate, and don't pay SS tax and pay cash under the table.

If all you know how to do is wire houses (new construction) that is not a good position to be in.

I have been to job sites where you won't find any Americans working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.