Thread: MLO Sub-panel with inverter and loads wire sizing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MLO Sub-panel with inverter and loads wire sizing

Hey Guys,

I have a situation and wondering if my thinking is correct and looking for the applicable codes.

I have a 60A subpanel which has a 20A breaker for an inverter and a 20A breaker for a light.

This would be legal according to the sum rule in 705.12(d)(2)(3)(c). But how do we size the wires coming out of the subpanel? Because the currents are going in opposite directions the max current on that wire be 20A and should be sized for that shouldn't it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryangittens View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a situation and wondering if my thinking is correct and looking for the applicable codes.

I have a 60A subpanel which has a 20A breaker for an inverter and a 20A breaker for a light.

This would be legal according to the sum rule in 705.12(d)(2)(3)(c). But how do we size the wires coming out of the subpanel? Because the currents are going in opposite directions the max current on that wire be 20A and should be sized for that shouldn't it?

Thanks
    Yes. The most current those conductors will carry is 20A.

Hey Guys,

Thanks
    Just realized that this is a stupid question. The conductors are sized based on and protected by the OCPD on the other end.

Just realized that this is a stupid question. The conductors are sized based on and protected by the OCPD on the other end.
    That, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    That, too.
    Haha thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk