Difference in solid versus stranded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question asked and I want to make sure I answered it correctly. "What is the difference between solid and stranded wire". I said ease of work and current differences. Was I on the right path? An what is the correct answer?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is a difficult question. Yes, stranded is easier to pull but it is harder to terminate. Stranded is more likely to corrode, IMO, and costs more to produce.

iwire

Staff member
Not really any difference in current ratings.

As far as ease of use in my opinion it is just personal preference.

Stranded might pull into a raceway easier but takes more time or care to terminate under a device screw.

It becomes a Chevy vs Ford argument.

I like solid but many prefer stranded, it's why we have both in small sizes.

templdl

Not really any difference in current ratings.

As far as ease of use in my opinion it is just personal preference.

Stranded might pull into a raceway easier but takes more time or care to terminate under a device screw.

It becomes a Chevy vs Ford argument.

I like solid but many prefer stranded, it's why we have both in small sizes.
Ditto. I often question if the termations are listed for standard wire too are the difficulty that one has on terminating stranded wire underneath a screw type terminal. And I doubt if the push ins would work. Stranded wire is nice to have though when pushing the wires back in the back when installing a device.

sparkyrick

I prefer stranded, by far. Easier to terminate, splice an pull. Now, if I could only get the bossman to buy stranded MC cable, I'd be a happy camper :)

Carultch

Got a question asked and I want to make sure I answered it correctly. "What is the difference between solid and stranded wire". I said ease of work and current differences. Was I on the right path? An what is the correct answer?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Stranded and solid wire both have the same ampacities, as long as terminations are listed for the class of stranding that applies. Class B and Class C stranding are the most common, and most terminals are rated for this. Any higher class of stranding may need special terminations, or termination adapters.

In terms of voltage drop, for DC it makes no difference. For AC, the more strands of wire there are, the higher the effective resistance because of inductive effects.

In terms of ease of work, stranded wire is more flexible due to strands being able to slide past one another, and therefore easier to install in conduit. Solid wire imposes the rigidity of copper on the mechanics of your wire pull, which can damage the insulation integrity if you aren't careful. For lay-in wiring methods instead of pull wiring methods, the rigidity isn't as much of a problem.

templdl

Stranded and solid wire both have the same ampacities, as long as terminations are listed for the class of stranding that applies. Class B and Class C stranding are the most common, and most terminals are rated for this. Any higher class of stranding may need special terminations, or termination adapters.

In terms of voltage drop, for DC it makes no difference. For AC, the more strands of wire there are, the higher the effective resistance because of inductive effects.

In terms of ease of work, stranded wire is more flexible due to strands being able to slide past one another, and therefore easier to install in conduit. Solid wire imposes the rigidity of copper on the mechanics of your wire pull, which can damage the insulation integrity if you aren't careful. For lay-in wiring methods instead of pull wiring methods, the rigidity isn't as much of a problem.
Terminals listed for use with stranded wire is the key. Often times it is don,'t ask don't because you may discover they are not listed.

iwire

Staff member
Terminals listed for use with stranded wire is the key. Often times it is don,'t ask don't because you may discover they are not listed.

All typical 15, 20 and 30 amp receptacles, switches etc are listed for stranded.

You can even get Wago style push in connectors for stranded.

I still find solid faster to terminate.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
All typical 15, 20 and 30 amp receptacles, switches etc are listed for stranded.
I learned on here that there are some switches that are not.

You can even get Wago style push in connectors for stranded.

I still find solid faster to terminate.
I agree that solid is faster/easier to terminate. I still like stranded better.

It's a Ford vs. Chevy argument for sure, however, just finished pulling gobs of 16AWG stranded today.....sooooo nice..... was able to pull the wire through some LB's from the other side of the room. Could not have done that with solid.

iwire

Staff member
I learned on here that there are some switches that are not.

Something is fishy with that.

From 110.14(A)

Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.

Were these switches from a reputable manufacturer and listed?

just finished pulling gobs of 16AWG stranded today.....sooooo nice..... was able to pull the wire through some LB's from the other side of the room. Could not have done that with solid.

And at the termination end you have an ugly ball of spaghetti unless you dominate it with a ton of tie wraps. :p

peter d

Solid is easier to push through a raceway. That's why I will often mix solid and stranded so I'll have at least a few conductors to make it easier. Yeah, you can call me weird. :p

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Were these switches from a reputable manufacturer and listed?
I just remember the discussion.

And at the termination end you have an ugly ball of spaghetti unless you dominate it with a ton of tie wraps. :p
It looks like Rupunzel's hair after she got home from Lolapalooza right now for sure.

It won't be too bad making up though. The worst part wont be messing with the wire. It'll be the labelling........every stinkin' wire. My eyes are getting crossed right now thinking about it.

growler

I have always thought that standed wire was better for industrial where you will have lots of vibration. Or going to a load where vibration may be a problem such as a motor. In residential the wire from disconnect to an AC condensor with be a good example of where stranded would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.