Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NM Or MC in church

NM Or MC in church

I'm looking into hanging lights in a small church that was built in 1898. I noticed another electrician recently rewired the entire church in romex, I thought it would be wired to commercial codes (MC). Is their something I'm not aware of? I tried asking the county building dept. but they don't even answer the phone. The church is located in central coast area of Ca. Should I just walk away from this project?

Quote Originally Posted by dynex22 View Post
    I'm looking into hanging lights in a small church that was built in 1898. I noticed another electrician recently rewired the entire church in romex, I thought it would be wired to commercial codes (MC). Is their something I'm not aware of? I tried asking the county building dept. but they don't even answer the phone. The church is located in central coast area of Ca. Should I just walk away from this project?
    Is the church a type III, IV, or V structure? Is all the Romex concealed? If the answer to both questions is yes, then this is permissible under 334.10(3).

Need to look at 518.4

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Need to look at 518.4

Roger
    Whoops, my bad on that.

Also if it is under 100 occupancy then "place of assembly" doesn't factor in.

But you can pack 100 people in a pretty small space when they are all right next to one another like is typical in a church.

Roger's post gets to what I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Also if it is under 100 occupancy then "place of assembly" doesn't factor in.
    Depends, in the IBC it is 50 people. Which code the AHJ uses for determination is a factor.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Is the church a type III, IV, or V structure? Is all the Romex concealed? If the answer to both questions is yes, then this is permissible under 334.10(3).
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Whoops, my bad on that.
    518.4 (B) says the same thing

It would be my guess that a church this old most likely has un- protected wood construction members.

And as roger said if the place of assembly occupant load is less than 100 persons the article is not applicable

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Depends, in the IBC it is 50 people. Which code the AHJ uses for determination is a factor.
    Without factoring in any local amendments I don't see IBC changing anything in NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Without factoring in any local amendments I don't see IBC changing anything in NEC.
    It dosn't mater that the IBC defines a place of assembly based on 50 occupants, the NEC only addresses assembly with occupant loading based on 100 occupants. There is no conflict between both documents

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    It dosn't mater that the IBC defines a place of assembly based on 50 occupants, the NEC only addresses assembly with occupant loading based on 100 occupants. There is no conflict between both documents
    I think you are seeing it the same way I am.

IBC may call it a place of assembly if over 50 occupancy, but for application of NEC, 518 doesn't have to kick in until 100 occupancy is reached.