Thread: 320 amp overhead meter main

320 amp overhead meter main

Hey everyone!
    I'm looking for a push in the right direction and hopefully a part number. I am installing a 320 Amp Eaton panel with a 200A sub feed and a 200A distribution included as well.
    Ive only installed these with UG services. This particular job is a 400A overhead service.

I get the same panel I've always used for this application. I guess I always just assumed they were UG/overhead. Now my supplier is saying he knows of no such panel. So rather than trolling the interwebs trying to find a solution I figured someone here, much smarter than myself, could give me the answer and do it with a practical installation in mind.

Thanks!

Assuming this is "side by side" as in meter on the left and panel on the right, not being rated OH/UG might just mean there is no port for hubs on the top, you might still be able to enter top via a myers hub.

worst case put conduit body out the side then go up, or worse yet make two turns with either conduit bodies, pull box, wireway (POCO may or may not allow in some places) and then go up with conduit, but myers hub out of top if possible makes it look like you know what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Assuming this is "side by side" as in meter on the left and panel on the right, not being rated OH/UG might just mean there is no port for hubs on the top, you might still be able to enter top via a myers hub.

worst case put conduit body out the side then go up, or worse yet make two turns with either conduit bodies, pull box, wireway (POCO may or may not allow in some places) and then go up with conduit, but myers hub out of top if possible makes it look like you know what you are doing
    Thanks for the quick response!

Yes. Side by side meter can. And meyers hub out the top was my initial thought and may be the best solution. However, with 500 mcm and the meter position it may make things a bit tricky. I was also wondering if someone has seen a panel of this type designed specifically for overhead feeds. But it wouldn't be the first time I've had to wrestle wire into place. Also I should mention I am trying to install this as semi flush.

Quote Originally Posted by Kg808 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response!

Yes. Side by side meter can. And meyers hub out the top was my initial thought and may be the best solution. However, with 500 mcm and the meter position it may make things a bit tricky. I was also wondering if someone has seen a panel of this type designed specifically for overhead feeds. But it wouldn't be the first time I've had to wrestle wire into place. Also I should mention I am trying to install this as semi flush.
    Sure complicate it some more.

That semi flush thing must be desirable on the west coast - you never see it here. Seems like it would be a PITA on retrofits, especially on masonry finishes. But here we usually have a basement or a garage to put the panel indoors - meter socket typically needs to be outside though, by POCO rules.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post

Correct about some POCO's not allowing. We would not. We don't even allow conduit fittings (such as LB's) because they are not sealable. But even if they do, it would require a box that is sealable. Best to ask 'em before you spend any money.
    Last edited by meternerd; 01-13-18 at 07:32 PM.

You will definitely not be able to enter the top. Too much busing in the way. Most manufactures make a side gutter that is designed to convert to overhead feed.

Doing a quick search I believe the Eaton part is HP40TFKIT but verify this is the correct one for your panel.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Convinced the customer for surface mount using the gutter attachment spoke with another supplier and they had said that they don't make this style in an overhead semi flush.

Thanks for the help!