Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Running RMC, techniques

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    HD, Lowes and many hardware stores have threaders if they sell pipe. I've gone that route when I had one or two ends. Just bring your pipe and throw them a few bucks.

-Hal
    I tried that once, big orange, and they said they couldnt thread RGS because it messed up their dies. I think they were full of it. If anything, RGS may be softer alloy than "pipe" to facilitate bending (thats what I heard, maybe that is BS too).
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post

They do threading at these stores, but it's done in the plumbing section, and you probably have no choice but to get tapered threads.
    Why would that be a problem?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I tried that once, big orange, and they said they couldnt thread RGS because it messed up their dies. I think they were full of it. If anything, RGS may be softer alloy than "pipe" to facilitate bending (thats what I heard, maybe that is BS too).
    Plumbers use the same dies as we do. NPT.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Plumbers use the same dies as we do. NPT.
    Yep - Ridgid sells the same equipment to plumbers and electricians.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Since you won't be cutting and threading the RMC you can use either threadless connectors or couplings.

Most threadless fittings for RMC, are not formally rated for wet locations. The few that are, are hard to find. Most applications where I'd be running RMC, would be in wet locations.

... tapered threads.
    After a little research, it turns out our conduit is also tapered threads. It's our fittings that are straight threads. Shows you how much RMC I've run.

That was me. I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I had to do it because my bender wasn't on the job with me, but hey, I was headed to the store for pipe anyway. Small jobs, too, so bend location wasn't critical or I had the measurement with me. Heck, most of the time I remembered to bring my tape measure with me into the store. Guess what I did if I forgot?

They do threading at these stores, but it's done in the plumbing section, and you probably have no choice but to get tapered threads.
    I have used tape measures from store shelf many times, then put them back. Tapered threads is about all you will find on field threaded pipe. Straight thread never tightens it just "bottoms out".

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    IMC is what is harder on threaders. If you have a threader die that is questionable at all it will leave damaged threads on IMC but still threads RMC just fine.

After a little research, it turns out our conduit is also tapered threads. It's our fittings that are straight threads. Shows you how much RMC I've run.

The couplers that that come on galvanized or black iron pipe are known as “ merchant couplers”. Those couplers all have straight threads. It’s only the cast couplings that have tapered threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzboyce View Post
    The couplers that that come on galvanized or black iron pipe are known as “ merchant couplers”. Those couplers all have straight threads. It’s only the cast couplings that have tapered threads.
    All the couplings for RMC I have seen have straight threads.

Like this:

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Plumber's couplings have tapered threads.

Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky