Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running RMC, techniques

Running RMC, techniques

Looking at a job that looks like it would require running some RMC.
    I'm just a small one man operation so I don't own mechanical benders and threaders, etc, and can't justify buying the equipment just to do this job.

I've priced out pre-made threaded 90's and 45's as well as 10' sticks, but got visualizing the route in my head and was thinking I'll probably need to cut/shorten a piece of the RMC along the route.

Without a threader how would I join up this shorter piece?
    Is there a Union of some sort that can be used to accomplish this joint?

This conduit would be for service conductors feeding the meter/Main.

Thanks!

Since you won't be cutting and threading the RMC you can use either threadless connectors or couplings.

Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Since you won't be cutting and threading the RMC you can use either threadless connectors or couplings.

Yeah but that's cheating

use the compression fittings or find a threader to rent, if laying it out carefully and only need a piece or two threaded take those pieces to someone that can thread them.

Harbor Freight has a 3/8-2 inch hand threader set for only $75. Might be worth it for just one job, probably won't last if you use it frequently.

Small sizes you can bend with hand benders - use next larger EMT size bender for RMc/IMC. Be prepared for stubs to not come out to same accuracy as they do for EMT, but if you use firm foot pressure while bending they will still be consistant. 3/4 EMT bender - deduct 6 inches for a stub for your mark - I think mine I marked it - use 6-3/8 for bending (1/2") RMC. I do bend 1/2 and 3/4 with hand bender fairly often.

I have up to 1" threader handle and dies that I bought at auction for maybe only $30 or so about 20 years ago. Rigid brand. Only replaced cutting dies on one of them since I have had it.
    Last edited by kwired; 01-13-18 at 12:37 PM.

Compression coupling.

So it looks like an EMT compression fitting ? I'll have to check it out with the supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    So it looks like an EMT compression fitting ? I'll have to check it out with the supply house.
    Same design but not same dimension - it is made to fit RMC/IMC.

Probably easy to find in stock for 1/2 and 3/4 but not so much for 2 inch. Probably kind of pricey for 2 inch as well I would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sw_ross View Post
    They also make set screw types. Above 2" many set screw EMT connectors and coupling are also listed for RMC because the outside diameter are roughly the same for both types of raceways.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Also, some supply houses have demos and rentals. If it is only a a piece or two, you may get to use a threader or possibly they will thread for a small nominal fee. If you are a good customer, maybe nada. I have went this route in a pinch.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by jumper View Post
    Also, some supply houses have demos and rentals. If it is only a a piece or two, you may get to use a threader or possibly they will thread for a small nominal fee. If you are a good customer, maybe nada. I have went this route in a pinch.
    Somebody recently mentioned going to HD or Lowes and getting a stick of EMT, grabbing a bender and making needed bends, putting bender back on shelf and proceeding to cashier to pay for bent piece of raceway.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Somebody recently mentioned going to HD or Lowes and getting a stick of EMT, grabbing a bender and making needed bends, putting bender back on shelf and proceeding to cashier to pay for bent piece of raceway.
    Well, ya gotta admit it is quick thinking.

How come I never smart enough to think stuff up like this?
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek