Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Tell me why PV systems are not a scam

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Yes.

Levelized cost of electricity (LCOE) = cost per watt / kWh per watt per year / lifetime of system

Around here, average for those numbers would be something like $3.10 per watt, 1.5kWh per watt per year, and we're assuming 25 years.

$310/1.5/25 = 0.083

I can't imagine that you'd have to pay $3.10/W to get the panels dropped in your driveway. Should be around a dollar, with the new tarrifs, depending on how high end you want to go. Inverters and racking shouldn't cost you more than another 50 cents for a 10kW system. If you're an electrician, ask around at distributors instead of scanning the web.
    I missed that you were quoting per kW-hr, not kW. I was looking at cost per installed watt.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    That's why solar and wind without utility scale storage are never touted as the one solution. Natural gas power plants and nukes will be around for quite a while yet.
    Agreed.
    Utility scale storage is a point I have brought up here and other "green" forums.
    Hydro is a renewable with storage.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Agreed.
    Utility scale storage is a point I have brought up here and other "green" forums.
    Hydro is a renewable with storage.
    But the lack of storage is no reason to assume that solar and wind cannot be valuable contributors to the mosaic which is the energy picture of the present and future.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    But the lack of storage is no reason to assume that solar and wind cannot be valuable contributors to the mosaic which is the energy picture of the present and future.
    Agreed which is why I would make no such assumption.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.