NEC checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
While obviously I cannot hit every possible thing, I am trying to make a checklist up for our inspectors to look at when inspecting wiring and conduit inside of small control buildings. The work is relatively minimal, so I am don't need anything elaborate. Just curious if anyone has some advice on things to add, or maybe an inspection sheet of their own they would be willing to share.

Things like tying all the grounds that run through a metal box to the box. Simple things to look for that are going to get us nailed when the local inspector takes a look.

Or securing conduit.

Little things that are real obvious to people in the trade for 20 years, but maybe not so obvious to others.

You might want to get a copy of the "Electrical Inspection Manual" by Williams and Sargent, published by the NFPA. It's organized in chapters that align with the NEC and has good explanations of what should be inspected. The back of each chapter has a checklist, which may be similar to what you are asking for. The checklists are also included on a CD provided with the manual.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Because I am just that awesome. :D

It really depends on the work at hand. A big feeder I do some simple tests before energizing.

But typical branch circuits no we don't test them. We turn them on.

we do continuity tests before energizing, but unless a customer asks for anything beyond that, we don't do anything else.

growler

Awful example. Voltage drop will not burn down a home. Damaged insulation can, and we all know breakers have limitations. An IR test would catch this. And by IR I mean insulation resistance, so don't even try that trick :p

We could do insulation resistance checks (megging) on new residential contruction but would it be worth it?

Sure there are conductors damaged by sheet-rock nails and screws or siding nails but where is the demand to change the system. How many fires will be prevented by insulation testing?

We could all wear a crash helmet while driving around town or even body armor and sooner or later it would prevent a death.

When it comes to safety we need to identify the problem before we start trying to provide a solution.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
While obviously I cannot hit every possible thing, I am trying to make a checklist up for our inspectors to look at when inspecting wiring and conduit inside of small control buildings. The work is relatively minimal, so I am don't need anything elaborate. Just curious if anyone has some advice on things to add, or maybe an inspection sheet of their own they would be willing to share.

Things like tying all the grounds that run through a metal box to the box. Simple things to look for that are going to get us nailed when the local inspector takes a look.

Or securing conduit.

Little things that are real obvious to people in the trade for 20 years, but maybe not so obvious to others.

Are these shelters you are building from the floor up or are you buying the shelter then installing the electrical yourselves?
We have a log book that we use that stays in the shelter from start to finish. And we also have written inspection procedures that we go by during the testing and functional inspection.

iwire

Staff member
If it makes a big bang or blows up in your face when you put it on line - it has a problem:eek:hmy:

So do you meg all your branch circuits before energizing?

No you don't and yet you are still here alive, well, not having burned down your customers property or killed them.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Because I am just that awesome. :D

It really depends on the work at hand. A big feeder I do some simple tests before energizing.

But typical branch circuits no we don't test them. We turn them on.

Without knowing the condition of the circuit and in turn compliance with the code...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
We could do insulation resistance checks (megging) on new residential contruction but would it be worth it?

Sure there are conductors damaged by sheet-rock nails and screws or siding nails but where is the demand to change the system. How many fires will be prevented by insulation testing?

We could all wear a crash helmet while driving around town or even body armor and sooner or later it would prevent a death.

When it comes to safety we need to identify the problem before we start trying to provide a solution.

True, but the NEC could have offered that as an alternative to AFCIs.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I came up with a draft of my checklist. Maybe some people would be willing to take a look and comment.

Attachments

• NEC CHECKLIST PT 1.pdf
    132.7 KB · Views: 0
  • NEC CHECKLIST PT 2.pdf
    144.1 KB · Views: 0

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I came up with a draft of my checklist. Maybe some people would be willing to take a look and comment.

GENERALLY, 3 FEET OF WORKING SPACE IS REQUIRED IN FRONT OF ELECTRICAL
EQUIPMENT AND 3 FEET SIDE TO SIDE. I THINK THE CEC EXTENDS THIS TO 1 METER.
THE WORKING SPACE EXTENDS FROM THE FLOOR TO A HEIGHT OF 6.5 FEET.
CONDUIT AND OTHER EQUIPMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THE ELECTRICAL
INSTALLATION CAN EXTEND NO MORE THAN 6 INCHES PAST THE FRONT OF THE
EQUIPMENT. NOTHING ELSE IS ALLOWED IN THE WORKING SPACE

shouldn't that be 30 inches?

404.2(C) SWITCHES CONTROLLING LIGHTING LOADS.
WHERE SWITCHES CONTROL LIGHTING LOADS SUPPLIED BY A GROUNDED GENERAL
PURPOSE BRANCH CIRCUIT, THE GROUNDED CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR FOR THE
CONTROLLED LIGHTING CIRCUIT SHALL BE PROVIDED AT THE SWITCH LOCATION.
I.E - IF THERE IS A GROUNDED CONDUCTOR ASSOCIATED WITH THE LIGHT, THAT
CONDUCTOR HAS TO BE BROUGHT THROUGH THE SWITCH BOX.

Doesn't 404.2(C) 1 and 2 negate the need for the neutral at the switch if accessible? or in EMT?

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
GENERALLY, 3 FEET OF WORKING SPACE IS REQUIRED IN FRONT OF ELECTRICAL
EQUIPMENT AND 3 FEET SIDE TO SIDE. I THINK THE CEC EXTENDS THIS TO 1 METER.
THE WORKING SPACE EXTENDS FROM THE FLOOR TO A HEIGHT OF 6.5 FEET.
CONDUIT AND OTHER EQUIPMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THE ELECTRICAL
INSTALLATION CAN EXTEND NO MORE THAN 6 INCHES PAST THE FRONT OF THE
EQUIPMENT. NOTHING ELSE IS ALLOWED IN THE WORKING SPACE

shouldn't that be 30 inches?

404.2(C) SWITCHES CONTROLLING LIGHTING LOADS.
WHERE SWITCHES CONTROL LIGHTING LOADS SUPPLIED BY A GROUNDED GENERAL
PURPOSE BRANCH CIRCUIT, THE GROUNDED CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR FOR THE
CONTROLLED LIGHTING CIRCUIT SHALL BE PROVIDED AT THE SWITCH LOCATION.
I.E - IF THERE IS A GROUNDED CONDUCTOR ASSOCIATED WITH THE LIGHT, THAT
CONDUCTOR HAS TO BE BROUGHT THROUGH THE SWITCH BOX.

Doesn't 404.2(C) 1 and 2 negate the need for the neutral at the switch if accessible? or in EMT?

You are right about the 30 inches side to side. I will have to fix that in the next version.

The problem with this kind of a thing is it is not intended to be exhaustive, just something to make sure the code is followed. The more choices allowed the more chances it won't be done right. I would rather have something that will always be right in the guidelines than have to have someone figure out all the possible exceptions. In any case, it is doubtful that exception 2 could ever apply to what we do.

iwire

Staff member
Without knowing the condition of the circuit and in turn compliance with the code...

Dude, I am a 5th level electrical Ninja, I can see inside the walls. :D

Kidding aside under what scenario do you see me running around energizing circuits I had nothing to do with?:huh:

Under the odd chance I was sent to complete a job started by another contractor that could change things, it does not take long on a job site to get a good read on the level of professionalism of the previous workers and if looked like crap I very well might do some testing. Not to satisfy 110.7 but to satisfy myself I am not leaving a potential hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.