Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StorEdge / LG Chem System

StorEdge / LG Chem System

Hi,

I'm presently designing a PV system w/ battery backup. I'm using a SolarEdge StorEdge w/ an LG Chem RESU10H (5kW, 9.3kWh).

Q1: Does the backup load center have to be MLO or MB type? Or does it not matter? SolarEdge gave me a sample single-line diagram where showed an MB type, so I thought it may have to be Main Breaker type. The backup load center will be about 30 ft away from the inverter.

Q2: Has anyone ever put a freezer or refrigerator on battery backup? If so, what was your experience?

Andy

Somewhere in the manual it says to install a 25A main breaker in the subpanel to protect the autotransformer. (Annoying, because it limits your subpanel options due to a hold down being required on that main.) One thing I've wondered is whether one can spec a higher rated autotransformer and go up to the 40A allowed by the backup load breaker that's internal to the inverter. It wouldn't get you more backup power, butnit would allow higher pass-through capacity when grid connected.

I'm currently working through my first installations and can't speak from experience on fridges. Butost fridges would only draw a few amps. Is there something about it that worries you?

Are the RS485 communication cables (600V rated) allowed to be installed in the same conduit as the AC/DC power wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Are the RS485 communication cables (600V rated) allowed to be installed in the same conduit as the AC/DC power wiring?
    Yes, if they're indeed 600V rated.

My refrigerator is on the backed up loads panel in my StorEdge system. I haven't had any problem with it.
    The refrigerator starting power is 229W and the running power is 171W.
    One thing to note about the StorEdge system is that the useable battery capacity is actually about 8.4 kWh AC, not the 9.3 kWh shown on the RESU10H data sheet. This is mainly because the data sheet capacity is based on discharge to 5% SOC but the StorEdge inverter cuts off inverting from battery at 13%.
    Actual discharge test results for the SGIP incentive haven't been released yet and they might be a little lower.
    Other battery backup systems also have actual capacity lower than the spec sheets according to the SGIP tech person I talked with, so this shouldn't be taken as relatively poor performance by SolarEdge/LG Chem.

The RS485 shielded twisted pair 600V cable can be installed in the same conduit with the AC conductors. It's a little difficult to find a cable with those characteristics, but Belden B3106A works.
    I don't know why there would be DC conductors in that conduit.
    NEC 2014 690.31(B) states PV source circuits and PV output circuits shall not be contained in the same raceway, cable tray, cable, outlet box, junction box, etc. with conductors of other non-PV circuits or inverter output circuits unless the conductors of the different systems are separated by a partition.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarAlternativesDesign View Post
    I don't know why there would be DC conductors in that conduit.
    For the battery it makes sense to run the communication cable with the circuit conductors. Those are DC. I've done that on the systems I've installed, and as it happens I've not run the meter RS485 with any AC conductors.

The StorEdge design as I got it has a 4-wire shielded twisted pair 600V cable from the inverter connection unit to the RESU10H. For this I used a Belden B7957A Cat 5e cable. This was a DC circuit but I didn't use an RS485 cable.
    The connection from the inverter connection unit to the meter called for an RS485 shielded twisted pair 600V cable, which I ran in conduit with the inverter output circuit to a point near the service panel and SolarEdge meter. That was the AC circuit I referred to.

What classification do you give the RS485 wiring? Communication-article 800? Class 2 or 3 - article 725?

What classification do you give the RS485 wiring? Communication-article 800? Class 2 or 3 - article 725?
    Communication definitely refers to common carrier type systems (phone, cable, etc.), not to anything that carries data and therefore communicates. It may well be covered by limited power operation rules.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk