Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable Seals, & 501.15(E)(1)

Cable Seals- NRTL

(1) double vent seals as 501.17 effective to bleed off gas and cable going from Cl 1 Div 2 to Unclassified, (2) A hermetically sealed apparatus, (3) A MI Cable . All three examples of the topic of conversation as I recall the discussion in this thread.
    http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...on-catalog.pdf
    http://literature.rockwellautomation...p003_-en-p.pdf
    Last edited by nec_addicted; 01-22-18 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Link not loading- Hopefully this time it will

Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    (1) double vent seals as 501.17 effective to bleed off gas and cable going from Cl 1 Div 2 to Unclassified, (2) A hermetically sealed apparatus, (3) A MI Cable . All three examples of the topic of conversation as I recall the discussion in this thread.
    http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...on-catalog.pdf
    http://literature.rockwellautomation...p003_-en-p.pdf
    If you believe that, you should probably reread the OP.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Cable Seals & Explosion Proof OP was removed and changed to 501.15(E)(1)

The removal of the OP or maybe not was what threw my thinking off. Same type subject them gravitated and I commented this might not correspond but off subject and I did apologize for whom ever declared to limit the subject matter to one specific article.Maybe was the best thing to do however I believed the OP had been developed to where it was interesting how it narrowly contorted into a constriction of freedom to improve the options.

Quote Originally Posted by nec_addicted View Post
    The removal of the OP or maybe not was what threw my thinking off. Same type subject them gravitated and I commented this might not correspond but off subject and I did apologize for whom ever declared to limit the subject matter to one specific article.Maybe was the best thing to do however I believed the OP had been developed to where it was interesting how it narrowly contorted into a constriction of freedom to improve the options.
    ?????

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cable seal

The intent was to explain this thread started out as primarily 501.15(B) discussion. That was the prelude to which sentence out of the three was the intent of seals if required at explosion proof enclosures. The two quotes (some in red sentence) still here in this thread had already posted about eight comments discussion about 501.15(B) when suddenly the first 5 or 6 comments were dropped and the main thrust of clarification gravitated to 501.15(E)(1).

The title took on the meaning that 501.15(E)(1) was the only topic of subject.I know this to be true because I started a post of the former but forgot to complete it but sending post reply. Consequently those permitted time was not allow and when going back in to recapture the original discussion it no longer was available because it was deemed best practice to restrict discussion to 501.15(E)(1). Almost immediate the inline cable seals were shot down when posted by Ak electrician. Then I turned a phrase 501.15(E)(2) as a viable alternative. All was fine until the end I was requested to read the OP which was under the impression no longer available to read so recover it or accept the discussion as is now that's my point of view.

You lost me a long time ago nec_addicted.
    The installation I mentioned where a seal and a block were used in a case of a cable terminator seal for the boundary seal and the gas block for the twisted type wire covered with mylar. Unclassified area had control cabinet, installed MC-HL single pair ran to J box in class 1 div 2 location. Installed boundry seal for cable and gas block for twisted pair. Had power in J box, so left mylar and black sheath on and gas blocked it close to term blocks. No arky no sparky no need for explosion proof box. I did it the way I was told, by AHJ. Made sense to me.