250.148 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the box contained say 5 sets of 500 kcmil unspliced but one set of spliced #12's then the only bonding jumper to the box required would be a #12?
That's how I read it.

What's puzzling is, say there are no spliced circuit conductors, metal box, all non-metallic conduit entries... are we not required to bond the box? If we are (which I say we are), wouldn't the requirement be to bond it with the size appropriate for the largest OCPD?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
FWIW, current First Revision has the general statement being reworded for 2017.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any all equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with any of those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

Committee Statement: The revised text clarifies that all of the EGC's present in the box are required to be connected together regardless of the circuit they are associated with.

IMO, they should also eliminate the part " associated with any of those circuit conductors".

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
FWIW, current First Revision has the general statement being reworded for 2017.

Committee Statement: The revised text clarifies that all of the EGC's present in the box are required to be connected together regardless of the circuit they are associated with.

IMO, they should also eliminate the part " associated with any of those circuit conductors".
Well one thing is for sure, they haven't made the section any better, and when you consider Infinity's scenario their position is foolish.

Rcr29kh1

Thanks to all of you who have posted to this thread. I can't believe it but it is still under debate by the electrical contractor. I will be sure to let you all know how it turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.