Shower exhaust fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have a job where the bath fan located in the shower trips the GFCI on an inconsistent basis.
The unit can work fine for a month then all of a sudden trip the ground fault.

I have replaced the GFCI device once already and have changed out the motor assembly in the unit.

Unit is tiled in the ceiling and attic space is extremely tight above to do anything.
I have checked all connections to insure that I don't have any wires touching each other.

At this point my only option is to replace the motor/wheel assembly.

How would one even go about trying to check this for proper operation?

Short of removing the GFCI protection from the circuit, I am out of ideas .

Anybody here have a similar situation?

iwire

Staff member
Short of removing the GFCI protection from the circuit, I am out of ideas .

Anybody here have a similar situation?

Is it the only thing on the circuit?

Is it possible the wire between the fan and GFCI is damaged?

Can you have a mega to do an insulation resistance test?

Is it in a area that might get splashed with water? (Think kids playing games in the shower etc)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How do you know if the fan is tripping the gfci if it happens only once in a while or is the fan the only thing on the gfci

nizak

It is on the bathroom lighting circuit. The GFCI line side is powered by a conventional wall switch,the same power that is supplying vanity lights. The load side of the GFCI is only protecting the fan/light unit.

I don't see it being an area where the GFCI device would get wet. It's a dead front device and only has the test/reset buttons. Unable to plug into.

I have not tested the 20' of 14/3 NM cable that runs between the switch and fan.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is on the bathroom lighting circuit. The GFCI line side is powered by a conventional wall switch,the same power that is supplying vanity lights. The load side of the GFCI is only protecting the fan/light unit.

I don't see it being an area where the GFCI device would get wet. It's a dead front device and only has the test/reset buttons. Unable to plug into.

I have not tested the 20' of 14/3 NM cable that runs between the switch and fan.

I would probably change out the entire fan/light unit if you can find one that fits the opening

growler

I have a job where the bath fan located in the shower trips the GFCI on an inconsistent basis.
The unit can work fine for a month then all of a sudden trip the ground fault.

I have replaced the GFCI device once already and have changed out the motor assembly in the unit.

Do you have a model number for the fan? Not all bath fans work well with GFCI protection and some are specifically listed to work on a protected circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.