E page scale vs Architects page scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

Went to rough in a slab. My scale 1/8.
So i lay it out with marking paint then check it against the supers Architect page. His is 3/16 and I would have been off by 1-2'.
Whats really going on.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

ron

If you follow the scale, and the drawing is printed to its full size (not reduced size), the scaled values should match.

Generally, as stated earlier, you don't scale from an E drawing unless told to, since the A or S drawing is often updated backgrounds that don't get to us poor EE's.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I agree 100% not to use the E-prints for exact locations.

Use the A prints, or shop drawings from the mill workers etc.

The Es are just for circuitry and rough locations.

And I agree too. Unless their are specific details on the E drawings for layouts the A drawings are it.

Roger

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Went to rough in a slab. My scale 1/8.
So i lay it out with marking paint then check it against the supers Architect page. His is 3/16 and I would have been off by 1-2'.
Whats really going on.

Hopefully, you learned a valuable lesson. One that can cost a company a lot of money if an estimator learns it the hard way! Not only should you verify the scale on every page, you are scaling, you NEED to check that the scale is right. Must use a known measurement. I. E. a 2x4 lay in, a standard door, usually 3'0" or a parking space usually 9'. Even better, is a dimensioned line or I love it when the Arch/eng puts a scale line on the plans.
Regarding other comments about using the architectural plans, I have mixed feelings. In this day and age, some care must be taken to compare the two and use common sense. Scaling is often not necessary, and at other times, you may need to go even further, like getting hold of the millwork drawings.

luckylerado

Smart money is to send the slab crew to the job with a slab rough shop drawing highlighting only that stuff that goes under slab with dimensions already on it from as few grid lines as possible. If the job is big enough we use a total station. It is my experience that 75% of labor dollars spent during a large slab rough is people walking around without direction and rework. Both of these are lost time that is avoidable with proper pre-planning. Better yet, submit those drawings for approval by the GC if there is time and then if something does not jive you will often get paid to change it.

iwire

Staff member
Not only should you verify the scale on every page, you are scaling, you NEED to check that the scale is right. Must use a known measurement. I. E. a 2x4 lay in, a standard door, usually 3'0" or a parking space usually 9'.

I agree 100% and do those types of checks often when getting freshly printed prints.

Regarding other comments about using the architectural plans, I have mixed feelings. In this day and age, some care must be taken to compare the two and use common sense.

If we are talking slab work typically we are trying to end up in a wall, the carpenters will build the walls per the As not the Es so it seems to me to be commonsense to use the As

Scaling is often not necessary, and at other times, you may need to go even further, like getting hold of the millwork drawings.

For sure on the millwork drawings, or other shop drawings from other vendors. In my case that is often refrigerated coolers and the like.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I love it when the Arch/eng puts a scale line on the plans.
I try to do that (i.e., include what I call a "graphic scale") on all floor plans and enlarged floor plans. That way, no matter what size anyone prints the sheet, the scale of the image and the distances shown on the graphic scale will match each other.

electricalist

Thanks for all the replies. Luckily i double checked the layout before stubbing up my conduits.
I prefer to start my conduits from an outside wall instead of from a future wall to a pony wall.

And if we're going to carry this further, calling them A or E only works when there's enough context.... You can have an A size Electrical drawing. (Took me a few messages to realize that the title "E page" means Electrical page, not E-size).

Strathead

Occupation
And if we're going to carry this further, calling them A or E only works when there's enough context.... You can have an A size Electrical drawing. (Took me a few messages to realize that the title "E page" means Electrical page, not E-size).

That is a point, sort of. In most electrical conversation, the typical electrical foreman doesn't even know what A size and E size paper is. But I'll bet many here do. However, in very little context here it should have been gleaned, since the scale for A to E would be far greater than a 1/8 to 3/16 ratio.

donaldelectrician

That is a point, sort of. In most electrical conversation, the typical electrical foreman doesn't even know what A size and E size paper is. But I'll bet many here do. However, in very little context here it should have been gleaned, since the scale for A to E would be far greater than a 1/8 to 3/16 ratio.

I would not say that ... We have the A , E , and M (P) prints as well as the Site plans .

Handed reduced drawing once ... took 20 minutes to find GF and get the right plans .

Don

Strathead

Occupation
I would not say that ... We have the A , E , and M (P) prints as well as the Site plans .

Handed reduced drawing once ... took 20 minutes to find GF and get the right plans .

Don

And you got backwards confused. My statement referred to paper sizes as the person I was responding to did.

Status
Not open for further replies.