Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithonia ultra-slim led recessed lights

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    I put a 6-inch in the other day. I like them and they put out good light. I "took the line" on the cutout with the keyhole saw and it barely covered the hole...so cut em tight so they fit.

I couldn't find a box fill in the instructions, but I would say we are limited to 2 romex's with the wagos.

Then, I always thought j-boxes needed to be mounted...but you just "float" these?

On the new work install with those "pans"...are you pre-installing the j-box and mounting it to the joist near the pan?
    iirc, the way they are listed as something other than a jbox and do not require mounting.

eta: here's two mfg installation videos that do not show the driver/junction box being hard mounted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc1EYB5Nzgk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgmSukybivo

Not saying that is by code, but there you go.
    Last edited by JFletcher; 01-29-18 at 01:16 PM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Just came across another good name for those: Can killers.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

I put a 6-inch in the other day. I like them and they put out good light. I "took the line" on the cutout with the keyhole saw and it barely covered the hole...so cut em tight so they fit.

I couldn't find a box fill in the instructions, but I would say we are limited to 2 romex's with the wagos.

Then, I always thought j-boxes needed to be mounted...but you just "float" these?

On the new work install with those "pans"...are you pre-installing the j-box and mounting it to the joist near the pan?
    I had the same issue with the 6” also. I ended up buying a 6” hole saw it fits perfectly snug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just installed 51 of the Lithonia can killers/rat traps. The template is 6.25. I cut a 6" which was perfect. Love these things. Joist layout changed so the last row was right under a Joist - No problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"You can't generalize"

I saw them at HD and meant to pick some up as a sample. I do a lot of retrofit work and these look like they save a ton of time. The only problem would be if there is already existing recessed in the house and having to match them. Does Lithonia make an LED trim retrofit so you can add these slim lights and retrofit old recessed so they all look the same? If not, they should.

On the new work install with those "pans"...
    Ordered 60 roughin pans from SH 1st week in January

Haven't got any yet

House will be insulated this week, sheetrock next week
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    Ordered 60 roughin pans from SH 1st week in January

Haven't got any yet

House will be insulated this week, sheetrock next week
    I haven't used those rough in pans yet. The few new construction jobs I have done with these, I just left the wire up in the ceiling, noted the measurements, and cut them in later. I would indeed love to let the drywallers do the cutting. I hate regular cans more everyday: hard to layout, stupid flimsy arms, setscrew works to lock it in 50% 0f the time....

"You can't generalize"

Although they look to remedy some issues with regular housings I have yet to break down and use them.

What happens when say 5 years down the road a driver or LEDs take a crap. These products change so frequently that I fear that any replacement will not exactly match so here you are changing an entire room to get a match. That means connections and all, maybe even hole cut-out being wrong.

With retrofitted regular cans, any failure is just a matter of pulling trim down and changing even if it has to be a whole room. Less time than having to rewire.

I have nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Although they look to remedy some issues with regular housings I have yet to break down and use them.

What happens when say 5 years down the road a driver or LEDs take a crap. These products change so frequently that I fear that any replacement will not exactly match so here you are changing an entire room to get a match. That means connections and all, maybe even hole cut-out being wrong.

With retrofitted regular cans, any failure is just a matter of pulling trim down and changing even if it has to be a whole room. Less time than having to rewire.

I have nightmares.
    fair points. I have those concerns too. I tell people to buy some extras to keep on hand.

"You can't generalize"

I have used them for in-cabinet lighting and they are great. Still prefer to use full size cans for general lighting.
    The clip-in's don't dim as low and come in fewer temperatures.