Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MASTER OVERRIDE SWITCH

To repeat myself, use a 3-way and a single-pole switch like this:

Time clock fed always hot to maintain time setting. Connect load (contactor) to common terminal of 3-way. One traveler terminal to clock output, other traveler terminal to one terminal of SP switch. Other terminal of SP switch to always-hot terminal feeding clock. 3-way switch marked Auto/Manual, SP switch marked Manual On/Off.

Another option is a center-off single-pole switch, connected as 3-way above without SP switch: common to load, second terminal to clock output, third terminal to always hot.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post

Time clock fed always hot to maintain time setting. Connect load (contactor) to common terminal of 3-way. One traveler terminal to clock output, other traveler terminal to one terminal of SP switch. Other terminal of SP switch to always-hot terminal feeding clock. 3-way switch marked Auto/Manual, SP switch marked Manual On/Off.

Another option is a center-off single-pole switch, connected as 3-way above without SP switch: common to load, second terminal to clock output, third terminal to always hot.
    If you go and decide to dance with a gorilla the dance ain't over till the gorilla decides it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post

Gotta one up the darn cat.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Jamesco said:
    Just parallel the contacts from this across the contacts of the time clock.

Add. The manual timer eliminates the chance of human error.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    That gives you override ON, but the OP also wants override OFF for off schedule days/times the building is not in use.
    Add a second such timer with NC instead of NO and put it in series with the time clock contacts?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The spst switch would be installed in the circuit before the contactor/s coil. The switch is the gate keeper. Nothing gets past it, when it's in the open position.

180222-1337 EST

Jamesco:

Your suggestion of a manually set timer of limited total duration "ORed" (in parallel) with the time of day timer output contact is a very good idea. Combine this with GoldDigger's suggestion of a 7 day timer and probably most of what Casualsparky wants is achieved even though he has not yet adequately defined what he wants.

Thank you everybody. I am sorry that I didnt clearly define what I was trying to achieve, but am amazed at how many good suggestions have been given. I believe I have all the information I need. Thanks for all of the help!!

The forum rules state that you must tell us what you chose to do, or else you can't use any of our suggestions,
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Haha, I have not installed yet, but think I am going to go with the countdown timers as override switches. I like the idea that they will default back to the timeclock if somebody forgets to turn them off. And i think the client will agree. The focus on this project is energy efficiency. Thanks again everybody for the input. Several good/ interesting ideas that hadnt crossed my mind. Love this forum.

Two zones. IC = Ice Cube, and the one shots are triggers for latching contactors (+ = close and - = open). In my case, the manual buttons were wired with class 2 wiring from the old system, so I used small ice cubes to use the 24V manual signals to make 120V pulses to the one shots. I wanted a master zone to kill the whole building, and then a slave zone to allow the shop area to turn their lights on after hours.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f91wm0y4pi..._5580.JPG?dl=0
    Last edited by George Stolz; 02-24-18 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casualsparky View Post
    Haha, I . . . think I am going to go with the countdown timers as override switches. I like the idea that they will default back to the timeclock if somebody forgets to turn them off.
    What about manual off?
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA