Yellow colored conductor being used as neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

But people will sue you these days over anything, just look at them funny and you may have to defend it somehow.

Just look in the front of the code book to atritecal 90.5 Mandatory rules. Mandatory rules of this code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterised by the use of the terms shall or shall not.

I think if you look at means of identifying grounded conductor you will see the word "shall" used a lot. It's a "Mandatory" rule.

People can sue you for anything but being stupid shouldn't be one of them.

kwired

Electron manager
Just look in the front of the code book to atritecal 90.5 Mandatory rules. Mandatory rules of this code are those that identify actions that are specifically required or prohibited and are characterised by the use of the terms shall or shall not.

I think if you look at means of identifying grounded conductor you will see the word "shall" used a lot. It's a "Mandatory" rule.

People can sue you for anything but being stupid shouldn't be one of them.
I agree. I am sort of mixing personal opinions on what I think code should require and what it actually does say - and the topic of code becoming a design manual for the untrained even though it specifically states it is not a design manual comes up a lot. I guess I need to clearly keep comments on what is in there more separate from what should be in there.

One does have to draw the line on what to put in the code - true most qualified will recognize which conductor is the neutral - even in some cases where all are same color, but we probably still do need the general rule of white or gray to identify it. Which comes back around to the OP topic of why do manufacturers make this conductor in question yellow when they know it will be used as a neutral most of the time?

I think the real answer is this series of cable was originally intended for utility companies who do not necessarily have a requirement to identify it with white. Is also possible the yellow is easier/lest cost to make then white, or maybe is better sunlight resistant or something. Understandable for the original URD that was not rated for inside use, but then they started making dual/triple rated stuff that is suitable for inside use and still continue to mark one conductor with yellow:roll:

growler

I agree. I am sort of mixing personal opinions on what I think code should require and what it actually does say - and the topic of code becoming a design manual for the untrained even though it specifically states it is not a design manual comes up a lot. I guess I need to clearly keep comments on what is in there more separate from what should be in there.

I don't think there is much of a chance for the code book to become a design manual for the untrained.

The reason I say this is because most of the untrained persons that I have met have never even opened a code book.

The reason I think the identification of the grounded conductor is required to be white or gray is for simplicity. Sure they could allow a yellow stripe but then someone would assume that yellow phaseing tape would also work ( yellow phaseing tape is used for other identification). Once you open the barn door it's hard to get it closed.

mwm1752

I must say, I am surprised by some of the replies here. I thought this was a professional forum. Anyone who would call an inspector anal or nitpicking for trying to enforce the NEC, no matter how minute the violation, is clearly not a professional.
Don't worry guys, I won't be back to this forum.

mcb979 -- Thats too bad - generally new posters end up taking a beating as simple post gets nitpicked by experienced members. Having a thick skin is part of being an inspector, we all have to sleep at night with decisions made during the day. Here you can defend your view and hopefully get comments to justify or recend how you interprete code. Both installers & inspectors need to know when to pick their battles. There isn't anyone here IMO that does not learn something from this forum so it would be a shame to leave. This forum is a great tool for feedback and has helped me.

iwire

Staff member
I must say, I am surprised by some of the replies here. I thought this was a professional forum.

It is a professional forum.

Anyone who would call an inspector anal or nitpicking for trying to enforce the NEC, no matter how minute the violation, is clearly not a professional.

I think you are really overacting here, members are allowed to have opinions that differ from your own. One members opinion does not shape the entire forum.

Don't worry guys, I won't be back to this forum.

I am not worried but I think you are making a poor choice, there are many talented and knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
However, the NEC has requirements for the service mast. The NEC applies to the service point, which may be on the line side of the meter. You need to find out what the POCO requirements are for this.

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
It is a professional forum.

I think you are really overacting here, members are allowed to have opinions that differ from your own. One members opinion does not shape the entire forum.

I am not worried but I think you are making a poor choice, there are many talented and knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.

Ditto--This is a great resource and the people are as well--The comment you refer to was an opinion--not name-calling or anything like it--I must say to you--grow up

Status
Not open for further replies.