apartment complex

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
has any one done apartment complex in EMT? It seems to be more tedious especially with bends. i have never ruffed in walls with wooden studs. I think MC would
be alot easier but not on drawing. Any advise when running conduit in wooden studs? The units are burned units so the new wiring is required to be in conduit. The un-burned units are run in Romex. i am still learning so any help will do. i am a residential apprentice electrician and conduit isnt in my resume so any help to impress my journeyman would help. i can bend conduit just havent done it in a looooonng time.

: - ))

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
has any one done apartment complex in EMT?
No, but I did a house once. Chicago guys would argue it's not so bad, but for me it was terrible.

I think MC would be alot easier but not on drawing.
MC is a lot easier.
Any advise when running conduit in wooden studs? The units are burned units so the new wiring is required to be in conduit. The un-burned units are run in Romex. i am still learning so any help will do. i am a residential apprentice electrician and conduit isnt in my resume so any help to impress my journeyman would help. i can bend conduit just havent done it in a looooonng time.

For horizontal runs through stud walls snap a chalk line and drill your holes close to the face of the studs.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
We pipe almost all commercial buildings. It's not that bad. You might be terrible at pipe when you start but you'll be less terrible when the projects over. I'm working on a medical build now that specs 3/4 minimum in the walls and 1" for datas, that's pretty standard. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler

It's probably just something the engineers speced to make everyone feel better. Emt prevents fires don't ya know.

There is nothing wrong with running EMT on a job like this. The only problem is getting paid enough to run EMT.

In many areas the residential contractors are not familiar with running conduit and may not bid enough.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We pipe almost all commercial buildings. It's not that bad. You might be terrible at pipe when you start but you'll be less terrible when the projects over. I'm working on a medical build now that specs 3/4 minimum in the walls and 1" for datas, that's pretty standard. Good times

Does that include stick frame buildings?

peter d

I live in MC cable land. EMT is used for exposed work but even low budget jobs will have MC in the exposed areas.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
No, but I did a house once. Chicago guys would argue it's not so bad, but for me it was terrible.

MC is a lot easier.
For horizontal runs through stud walls snap a chalk line and drill your holes close to the face of the studs.

i like that idea!!!

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
There is nothing wrong with running EMT on a job like this. The only problem is getting paid enough to run EMT.

In many areas the residential contractors are not familiar with running conduit and may not bid enough.

Its also saying we cant install more than 3 current carrying conductors in once conduit. this will make it more difficult. can i run a 2hots and 1 neutral like on the
small appliance circuit?. I already gotta take two circuits over anyway to counter top. its a 1ph 120/240.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Article 110.24

Article 110.24

service equipment in other than dwelling units shall be legiably marked. does this pertain to Multifamily dwellings?

ADub

Occupation
Its also saying we cant install more than 3 current carrying conductors in once conduit. this will make it more difficult. can i run a 2hots and 1 neutral like on the
small appliance circuit?. I already gotta take two circuits over anyway to counter top. its a 1ph 120/240.

That'd be about the only way to get two circuits in one conduit without exceeding 3 ccc's. Looks like it's either mwbcs or more pipes. That's a weird spec to me, weird as in I've never seen it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
That'd be about the only way to get two circuits in one conduit without exceeding 3 ccc's. Looks like it's either mwbcs or more pipes. That's a weird spec to me, weird as in I've never seen it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can the branch circuit feeding the bathroom be used to feed bedrooms in multifamily??

ADub

Occupation
can the branch circuit feeding the bathroom be used to feed bedrooms in multifamily??

Honestly, I haven't worked out of 210 in years. I probably wouldn't even wire my own house.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are on the 2014 NEC you will need to come up with a 2 pole AFCI is the only problem, otherwise multiwire branch circuits are not prohibited.

Still a dwelling unit, bathroom must be on it's own or with other bathrooms where permitted. Nothing prohibits the the bed and bath circuits from being in the same raceway though.

growler

i am a residential apprentice electrician and conduit isnt in my resume so any help to impress my journeyman would help.

Before even bidding a job like this someone should have come up with a plan for conduit & materials use. It's much easier to figure this out one time on paper than letting your people make mistakes in the field.

For some reason people think that running conduit is all about bending conduit but that's not so. The real trick to running conduit is to plan/layout the work so that you run as little conduit in as simple a manner as possible to get the job done.

If there is a crazy spec such as no more than 3 CCC in a conduit and 2 pole Arc fault breakers are needed then that extra cost will be added to materials. This should have been added before the job was bid and the company should be aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.