temporary power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick K

I am installing a 50 amp 240 volt twist lock receptacle for a temporary power distribution box, said box has 6 20 amp 120 volt gfci receptacles and one 30 amp 240 volt gfci. It will be connected with a 6-3 with ground seow cord and will be outdoors. The temp box is a 3R enclosure and is rainproof, very common on jobsites. My concern is does this need to be connected to a gfci breaker to protect the seow cord from a shock hazard.

luckylerado

I am installing a 50 amp 240 volt twist lock receptacle for a temporary power distribution box, said box has 6 20 amp 120 volt gfci receptacles and one 30 amp 240 volt gfci. It will be connected with a 6-3 with ground seow cord and will be outdoors. The temp box is a 3R enclosure and is rainproof, very common on jobsites. My concern is does this need to be connected to a gfci breaker to protect the seow cord from a shock hazard.

It would never hold.

user 100

It would per 590.6(B-1 GFCI protection ) but 590.6(B-2) would also apply.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
I agree it is either on a GFCI or under the assured EGC method.

If you go with the later keep records of the testing and when it was done.

It would per 590.6(B-1 GFCI protection) but 590.6(B-2) would also apply.

All of the purpose-built spider boxes I've ever seen with 120v/20a receptacles have GFCI protection which fills 590.6(A)(1); 590.6(A)(2) and (3) wouldn't apply. Section 590.6(B)(2) might apply but I've never seen that in the field, it's always just a 50a 2p breaker. And there is no mention of GFCI protection in 590.4(B) Feeders.

BTW, a 4-conductor type S cable would be described as "6/4", not "6/3 with ground".

user 100

Dunno, the jacket always says "6/4" on it, at least that's all I've ever seen, and I've seen a fair amount of the stuff.

The op could have been using cerrowire or southwire, which to this day still labels their "6/4" product as 6/3 w/g.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
As long as we can understand what the op is talking about, what difference does it make?

I, for one, am thankful when someone here lets me know stuff like that. The difference is that it is 6-4 not 6-3 with a ground. Riddle me this, what difference does it make which terminal the green wire is hooked to as long as it is the same on both ends?

user 100

I, for one, am thankful when someone here lets me know stuff like that. The difference is that it is 6-4 not 6-3 with a ground.

No, it is not "6/4"-it is 6/4 or 6/3 w/g. Either one is correct and referring to that product by either phrase is fine. A long time ago before egcs # 12 2 wire nm was simply referred to as 12/2 and when an egc was added it became known as "12/2 w/ground" and on that note riddle me with this:
Since 12/2 with ground contains 3 wires, should we refer to it as 12-3?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
No, it is not "6/4"-it is 6/4 or 6/3 w/g. Either one is correct and referring to that product by either phrase is fine. A long time ago before egcs # 12 2 wire nm was simply referred to as 12/2 and when an egc was added it became known as "12/2 w/ground" and on that note riddle me with this:

You don't get to make stuff up. I challenge you to find one manufacturer who will sell you 6/3 with ground SO cord. As the other poster stated, the cable is stamped 6-4 and it is 4 conductor SO cord. And if you don't learn and use the proper terminology then one day you are going to get an SO cord on your job that doesn't have enough wires in it. 12-2 NM is 12-2 with ground that is the proper terminology, so no, we shouldn't call it 12-3. I understand it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. The problem is going to be yours not someone else's if you get it wrong and the person who pointed that out was just trying to help, as I am. If you think I am full of it that is fine, no skin off of my back.

jstjohnz

To me, "with ground" implies an uninsulated ground wire.

iwire

Staff member
You don't get to make stuff up. I challenge you to find one manufacturer who will sell you 6/3 with ground SO cord. As the other poster stated, the cable is stamped 6-4 and it is 4 conductor SO cord. And if you don't learn and use the proper terminology then one day you are going to get an SO cord on your job that doesn't have enough wires in it. 12-2 NM is 12-2 with ground that is the proper terminology, so no, we shouldn't call it 12-3. I understand it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

I agree with you.

The problem is going to be yours not someone else's if you get it wrong and the person who pointed that out was just trying to help, as I am. If you think I am full of it that is fine, no skin off of my back.

Are you always as angry as you sound? :D

david

Riddle me this, what difference does it make which terminal the green wire is hooked to as long as it is the same on both ends?

Hopefully your kidding, But I was asked that exact question when I rejected this connection for a swimming pool

Attachments

• 20150703_092409.jpg
    20150703_092409.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0

user 100

You don't get to make stuff up. I challenge you to find one manufacturer who will sell you 6/3 with ground SO cord. As the other poster stated, the cable is stamped 6-4 and it is 4 conductor SO cord. And if you don't learn and use the proper terminology then one day you are going to get an SO cord on your job that doesn't have enough wires in it. 12-2 NM is 12-2 with ground that is the proper terminology, so no, we shouldn't call it 12-3. I understand it doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. The problem is going to be yours not someone else's if you get it wrong and the person who pointed that out was just trying to help, as I am. If you think I am full of it that is fine, no skin off of my back.

My fault-I completely missed the seow reference in the op's post. You are absolutely right that that product should be referred to correctly-it is indeed 6/4-I got to thinking more of nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.