User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 14-3 to non -fan rated bedroom ceiling box?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The number of 'gangs' at the wall switch isn't relevant to the requirement. You can have a 1-gang, 2-gang, 3-gang, or 10-gang. The NEC doesn't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
    I put in around 200-300 ceiling fans every year in new housing and remodels. Once a year I might , might use a two gan box for the ceiling fan, in a case where the owner demands two location switching for the light kit. Otherwise its a single gang box for a standard single pole switch and a handheld remote control, or a dual speed and fan light dimmer housed in a single yolk , sold by Hunter or Lutron. I'm glad that this thread showed up though , cause we just now finally adopted the 2014 NEC from our previous 2008 , and I went to the code change update class a good three years ago for the 14, and forgot all about that code change. Hopefully we will stick to the 14 for a ten year stretch as well.........
    Simple solution is require a Listed ceiling box for a paddle fan in bedrooms, Den, Great room/Living room, dinning room, recreational room, or any other habitable room where a paddle fan may be installed.

Fan or just a ceiling light, the fan box is there. That would makes it idiot proof.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
    I put in around 200-300 ceiling fans every year in new housing and remodels. Once a year I might , might use a two gan box for the ceiling fan, in a case where the owner demands two location switching for the light kit. Otherwise its a single gang box for a standard single pole switch and a handheld remote control, or a dual speed and fan light dimmer housed in a single yolk , sold by Hunter or Lutron. I'm glad that this thread showed up though , cause we just now finally adopted the 2014 NEC from our previous 2008 , and I went to the code change update class a good three years ago for the 14, and forgot all about that code change. Hopefully we will stick to the 14 for a ten year stretch as well.........
    When wiring bedrooms, I ALWAYS install a 2-gang box with 14-3 to a fan-rated ceiling box. That is standard procedure for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesco View Post
    That would makes it idiot proof.
    No such thing; as soon as you think you've made something idiot-proof, along comes a new-and-improved idiot.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses with traffic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, there is:

Murphy's Second Corollary
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me this is the code overstepping, what if I want to only turn 1/2 the lights on in day time and the full load of the fixture at night or any other control I would like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    To me this is the code overstepping, what if I want to only turn 1/2 the lights on in day time and the full load of the fixture at night or any other control I would like!
    Well you might be able to tell an inspector that, but then again how much more is a fan box going to cost.