Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Construction implications of 501.15(E)(1)

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,180
    nec_addicted, after reading and rereading your two previous posts I was inclined to simply respond, "Yeah, so?" However, in fairness, I will address the links but in reverse order.
    From the EC&M article:
    Achieving Code compliance‚Ä©Conduit seals in Class I, Division 1 and 2 locations must meet the requirements in Section 501.15(C). Sealing fittings must be listed, and listed equipment has to be installed in accordance with instructions in 110.3(B).
    (Underlines mine)

    What is shown on the conduit body is "SA" encircled with a "C". This indicates that CSA is the test lab involved. If one pays close attention to follow the links from the webpage you listed, they will ultimately arrive here. This is CSA's own markings page. You will note that the "SA" encircled with a "C" (fourth line down) is only a Canadian mark.

    In other words, "EYSR seal fittings are not NRTL certified" with respect to FedOSHA or the NEC.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    58
    It's ultimately up to your JHA as to what NRTL listings are acceptable. Here in California they tend to enforce everything to the letter of the law, whereas in other areas of the United States things are a bit more lax.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,180
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKN View Post
    It's ultimately up to your JHA as to what NRTL listings are acceptable.
    That's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKN View Post
    Here in California they tend to enforce everything to the letter of the law, whereas in other areas of the United States things are a bit more lax.
    That's not particularly true for either California or other jurisdictions. Some are at least at rigorous.


    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    58
    501.15(D)(2) states:


    (2) Cables Capable of Transmitting Gases or Vapors.
    Cables with a gas/vaportight continuous sheath capable of
    transmitting gases or vapors through the cable core, installed
    in conduit, shall be sealed in the Class 1, Division 1
    location after the jacket and any other coverings have been
    removed so that the sealing compound can surround each
    individual insulated conductor or optical fiber tube and the
    outer jacket.

    Exception: Multiconductor cables with a gas/vaportight
    continuous sheath capable of transmitting gases or vapors
    through the cable core shall be permitted to be considered
    as a single conductor by sealing the cable in the conduit
    within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure and the cable end
    within the enclosure by an approved means to minimize the
    entrance of gases or vapors and prevent the propagation of
    flame into the cable core, or by other approved methods. It
    shall not be required to remove the shielding material or
    separate the twisted pairs of shielded cables and twisted
    pair cables.

    This seems to imply that a normal EYS within 18" of the explosion-proof box is acceptable, as long as we seal the fittings after penetration into the enclosure. Or so at least it would be acceptable for a Class 1 Division 1 location, and therefore would seem to be acceptable for a Class 1 Division 2 .. the code is not clear in this instance.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,180
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKN View Post
    ...
    This seems to imply that a normal EYS within 18" of the explosion-proof box is acceptable, as long as we seal the fittings after penetration into the enclosure. Or so at least it would be acceptable for a Class 1 Division 1 location, and therefore would seem to be acceptable for a Class 1 Division 2 .. the code is not clear in this instance.
    It may not be clear but Section 501.15(D)(2) is discussing boundary seals; you still have to deal with Section 501.15(D)(1‚Äč) - seals at the termination.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    58
    This is quite confusing to me as I would never conclude that on my own. What basis do you have for concluding 501.15(D)(2) is discussing boundary seals? I only see 501.15(D)(1) as explicitly concerning Terminations.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Posts
    5,180
    Quote Originally Posted by MRKN View Post
    This is quite confusing to me as I would never conclude that on my own. What basis do you have for concluding 501.15(D)(2) is discussing boundary seals? I only see 501.15(D)(1) as explicitly concerning Terminations.
    Well, you could trust me OR you could make the logical conclusion that there are enclosure seals [Section 501.15(D)(1)] and whatever is left are boundary seals [Sections 501.15(D)(2) &(3)]
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Soldotna, AK, USA
    Posts
    124
    If I read all this right you have a full conduit run from A to B and you pulled a 3C/250 cable into it?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    Well, you could trust me OR you could make the logical conclusion that there are enclosure seals [Section 501.15(D)(1)] and whatever is left are boundary seals [Sections 501.15(D)(2) &(3)]
    Trust but verify right? Thank you for the explanation. For those of us not familiar with the subject this isn't immediately obvious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •