Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 9 pin serial to blue tooth

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    9,624

    9 pin serial to blue tooth

    We Had to break out an old anemometer a couple days ago. It uses a 9 pin cable when connected to an old laptop. We couldn’t find the cable that came with it but found a 9 to USB. Works fine. I see they make 9 pin to Bluetooth adapters which would add another level of convenience. How do I know which one?
    Tom
    TBLO

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Posts
    9,854
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    We Had to break out an old anemometer a couple days ago. It uses a 9 pin cable when connected to an old laptop. We couldn’t find the cable that came with it but found a 9 to USB. Works fine. I see they make 9 pin to Bluetooth adapters which would add another level of convenience. How do I know which one?
    USB is a wired connection. Bluetooth is a wireless connection. For Bluetooth to be usable, it will take more than a connector adapter to work. Maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to do.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

    Marky the Sparky

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    3,577
    I think he wants to connect the anemometer 9 pin to the Bluetooth adapter and communicate with the PC via Bluetooth.

    Maybe they do make a self powered serial to Bluetooth adapter he can use it with?

    ETA: Have a look here- http://www.usconverters.com/serial-bluetooth-adapter


    -Hal

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    9,624
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I think he wants to connect the anemometer 9 pin to the Bluetooth adapter and communicate with the PC via Bluetooth.

    Maybe they do make a self powered serial to Bluetooth adapter he can use it with?

    ETA: Have a look here- http://www.usconverters.com/serial-bluetooth-adapter


    -Hal
    They do make the serial to Bluetooth battery, battery pack, power supply units that would, connect to my anemometer. Yes, they should connect to my laptops Bluetooth.
    Tom
    TBLO

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,731
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    We Had to break out an old anemometer a couple days ago. It uses a 9 pin cable when connected to an old laptop. We couldn’t find the cable that came with it but found a 9 to USB. Works fine. I see they make 9 pin to Bluetooth adapters which would add another level of convenience. How do I know which one?
    If you found a serial to USB converter that worked on your first go, congratulations. In my experience it can be hit or miss. Siemens found this issue with some after market converters for use with their Zeus programming tool for their XLS fire alarm control panels. And just because it worked with the anemometer, doesn't mean it will work with your tilting bucket rain gauge.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    9,624
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    If you found a serial to USB converter that worked on your first go, congratulations. In my experience it can be hit or miss. Siemens found this issue with some after market converters for use with their Zeus programming tool for their XLS fire alarm control panels. And just because it worked with the anemometer, doesn't mean it will work with your tilting bucket rain gauge.
    That’s what I found out with AB products and that cable IIRC. Sometimes they worked together fine, next thing nothing.
    Tom
    TBLO

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    16,710
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    That’s what I found out with AB products and that cable IIRC. Sometimes they worked together fine, next thing nothing.
    One issue with the USB to serial converters is that if you plug them in a different USB port it coms up as a different COM port, so your AB RSLinx configuration has to be changed to look at the correct COM port.
    Bob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    9,624
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    One issue with the USB to serial converters is that if you plug them in a different USB port it coms up as a different COM port, so your AB RSLinx configuration has to be changed to look at the correct COM port.
    That did take a while to figure out.

    Buying the AB converter was worth the $$s. Worked first time and all the time.
    Tom
    TBLO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •