Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIC ratings, replacing breakers

good info so far folks, thanks.. I like getting to the nuts and bolts of this sort of thing since it isn't generally something that presents itself in the field (at least on our stuff). heck, my journeyman said "90% of those numbers on there are jibberish to me", so it is a good learning opportunity for him as well. (and also let me know I miss some details when trying to educate my men ) keep it coming, I'm holding the OEM to the fire on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't know what they mean when "they" say they "derated" something. It might well be that whatever they did was perfectly acceptable but the guy you talked with did not understand what actually happened and made up this terminology. That happens a lot when people just do not understand what they are talking about.
    They likely did figure the available current was lower at the point in question, "derating" wasn't really the correct terminology to use here though.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I don't know what they mean when "they" say they "derated" something. It might well be that whatever they did was perfectly acceptable but the guy you talked with did not understand what actually happened and made up this terminology. That happens a lot when people just do not understand what they are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    They likely did figure the available current was lower at the point in question, "derating" wasn't really the correct terminology to use here though.
    Yeah, I guess a clarification on the term "derated" is in order here. THEY (as an OEM) would not be the ones to make that determination in my opinion, but it is possible that the person making that statement didn't really understand, and what they WERE doing is using a Series Listing of the equipment they provided.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

agreed.. the term "derated" tried to get me off center also.. I've written that statement off as poor terminology.. I have had no reply from the OEM other than that, but hopefully they will step up, provide some documentation, or be willing to replace the breakers in question. In the meantime, I'm getting my head wrapped tighter around series rated breakers, 240.86, and how it all can/does/should apply to this situation. If/when they respond, i'll be able to carry on a more intelligent conversation with them. great responses, thanks again